Deaf Pro-96

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I've asked about this before but maybe now there's been a few more out there that have gone deaf. My PRO-96 won't even pick up the weather channel. It's as deaf as a doorknob. Don't remember what caused it. IIRC, simply stopped working one day.

My question is, how much did RS charge to fix it and what was wrong? Is it a repair I can make myself or should I ship it off to the Shack? I was going to just replace it with a PSR (I still might, depends on finances in the next few months) but if I can get it fixed for cheap enough, it's probably worth fixing - couldn't hurt to have an additional digital capable scanner in the arsenal.

Thanks for any info.
-AZ

SCPD

QRT
check BNC connection inside the radio.. may be loose, Common occurrence & pretty easy to fix yourself. with RS you can figure a minimum of about $50 to fix, plus 2-3 weeks without the radio
Paul

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
AlabamaRS said:
check BNC connection inside the radio.. may be loose, Common occurrence & pretty easy to fix yourself. with RS you can figure a minimum of about $50 to fix, plus 2-3 weeks without the radio
Paul

I checked it, and the connection looks OK but the jack itself seems loose. I'll have to crack the case open again and confirm. LOL it'll be funny if that's what it was - I've just let the scanner sit for months while I contemplated what I was going to do about it. :D

-AZ

SCPD

QRT
If it is "deaf" on all frequencies, this is most likely the cause of it... if Not... Thats the end of my tech abilities hehe :)
Good luck!!!
Paul
Also check the thin wire thats soldered to the connector as well as the PC board/bnc Connecting point

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure about how you define "deaf". When you open the squelch all the way, with a programmed channel set to FM (a weather freq works), do you hear a rushing sound? I am assuming that you do not. I am also assuming that the scanner just scans and never stops on anything. This sounds an awful lot like a defective squelch potentiometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.