Pro-651: Deaf Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

little-hoot

By troubleshooting with Eng74 over in the California Forum I discovered that my new to me Pro-651 is deaf as a post. Thanks for helping a newbie Eng74! :)

Lots of testing and troubleshooting you can check out in that thread, but it comes down to a deaf Pro-651.

I am replacing it with a Uniden 436 from Amazon in the next day or two, deciding to not cheap out and just go big.

I will take it apart later and look for any magic smoke that may have escaped, but do you guys know if there are there any troubleshooting guides for deaf Pro-651 scanners? Does D27 burn out (or something like that) from static discharge? Does C02 (or something like that) blow when you put 12v in to the 9v jack?

Thanks!

trp2525

Redneck0410

By troubleshooting with Eng74 over in the California Forum I discovered that my new to me Pro-651 is deaf as a post. Thanks for helping a newbie Eng74! :)

Lots of testing and troubleshooting you can check out in that thread, but it comes down to a deaf Pro-651.

I am replacing it with a Uniden 436 from Amazon in the next day or two, deciding to not cheap out and just go big.

I will take it apart later and look for any magic smoke that may have escaped, but do you guys know if there are there any troubleshooting guides for deaf Pro-651 scanners? Does D27 burn out (or something like that) from static discharge? Does C02 (or something like that) blow when you put 12v in to the 9v jack?

Thanks!
If I recall correctly, it will regulate to only 9v no matter what voltage is put in. Almost sounds to me as if the BNC connection may have come loose with the limited amount of info given here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Engine104

Member since 2005
I'm thinking the connection from the BNC to the circuit board probably came loose. Check that out and solder if needed. That could be all that is wrong.

little-hoot

IT IS ALIVE!

So tonight I took the scanner apart to see if I could see anything wrong. Daughter is at the kitchen table working on her homework and I am tearing into the scanner. So I am looking over the board, trying to find anything blown, smoked, scorched, melted, shorted; nothing.

Fine I say, I get out the solder sucker and start taking off the shields. The BNC runs right into a shielded can on the circuit board. Tight fit to get the soldering iron in and impossible to get the solder sucker in. But since I cannot break it any more, I go for it. Pull the cans off the front and back of the board where the BNC comes in. Study the signal flow, looking for anything wrong with a strong flashlight. See nothing. BNC pin to board looks good. Did not even reflow it. There is a bit of white fuzz on some of the SMT devices and on the board. Kind of like when solder smoke condenses on the board.

So, again since I cannot break it anymore, I take it to the skink and give the board a good scrub down with isopropyl alcohol and an old tooth brush. Get all the gunk off, and careful to not mess up the coils. Dry board on heat register, fill house with the smell of rosin and isopropyl alcohol.

Put it all together, solder all the cans back on, smack battery in, turn on, hit WX and BOOM! The forecast for the night comes in. Add the antenna and it is coming in crystal clear!

Program the conventional CHP frequencies, hit upload, scanner starts picking up CHP. Enter the multi site, P25 East Bay Regional Communications System, upload, and I am picking up the local departments.

So to be clear, I did NOT fix anything, I did NOT find anything wrong, but taking it apart, cleaning it, putting it back together and she is alive and chooching!

Thanks for the technical and moral support, Eng74, Engine104, Redneck0410 & trp2525!

Redneck0410

If only my 106 was that easy to fix... I've got mine able to receive transmissions, but it only hears the 800. Uhf and VHF are essentially dead. I know the problem, just gonna run it til I can get a decent deal on a 651 then this 106 is going nighty night.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

trp2525

...I know the problem, just gonna run it til I can get a decent deal on a 651 then this 106 is going nighty night...

If you are considering buying a brand-new PRO-651 to replace your ailing PRO-106, I would highly suggest buying the identical twin Whistler WS1040 version instead. My suggestion is based on the following:

1. The PRO-651 regularly sells at Radio Shack for $400 and goes down to $300 when it is on sale (like it is currently). Right now you can purchase a brand-new WS1040 from Newegg.com for $245.99 (plus $1.99 shipping): WHISTLER WS1040 Digital Handheld Scanner - Newegg.com

2. The WS1040 includes the PC programming cable and AC adapter in the box with the scanner. Radio Shack does not include either of those items with the scanner so they would have to be bought separately and at additional cost if you bought the PRO-651.

3. Radio Shack offers NO factory/manufacturer repair service for their PRO scanners. Whistler offers factory/manufacturer repair service both during the 1-year manufacturer's warranty and also after the warranty ends. The flat-rate repair charge is currently $120 for an out-of-warranty scanner which IMHO is much better than having to buy a whole new scanner down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.