• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Deciding on a Road trip cb radio

smittie

Premium Subscriber
Citizens Band radio was at one time license by tax just as GMRS is now. Up until 1983 a $4 license was legally required to operate a CB radio. No one ever got one, at least no one that I knew. GMRS really isn't that much different save that I actually got a GMRS license. Haha!

Just one man's opinion.

Smittie

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
thank you everyone for all of the great information ! , I have decided to ditch the CB radio idea and go with a VHF/UHF mobile setup . I'm looking at a Anytone 779UV . I'm hearing that GMRS is the "new cb radio" these days and there is lots of highway/interstate usage in the USA . plus up here in Canada most truckers use the LADD and RR channels on VHF .

GMRS/FRS does get used for car to car for people caravanning, and in some places you'll occasionally hear radio traffic on major interstates.

However, GMRS/FRS being FM, it is -extremely- common for users to have CTCSS/DCS set. A lot of the consumer radios come with it already activated. Because of that, it's not very common to have random conversations with those along the highways. GMRS is just not well suited for that. People want them for family communications, and usually are not setting them up in such a way that they'd hear a random person calling.

Also, most of the users you'll find are using hand held radios inside the vehicle, which gives them very poor range. Very rare to see anyone that takes the time to put an external antenna on.

It might be interesting to listen to, but random contacts like the old days of CB are not common.

Keep in mind that GMRS requires an FCC license in the USA.
In Canada, the GMRS service is limited to 2 watts, non-removeable antenna.

If you really want to listen to GMRS on your trip, a basic scanner will do what you need and cost less. Plus, it'll let you hear the LADD channels in Canada.

Ensnared

GMRS/FRS does get used for car to car for people caravanning, and in some places you'll occasionally hear radio traffic on major interstates.

However, GMRS/FRS being FM, it is -extremely- common for users to have CTCSS/DCS set. A lot of the consumer radios come with it already activated. Because of that, it's not very common to have random conversations with those along the highways. GMRS is just not well suited for that. People want them for family communications, and usually are not setting them up in such a way that they'd hear a random person calling.

Also, most of the users you'll find are using hand held radios inside the vehicle, which gives them very poor range. Very rare to see anyone that takes the time to put an external antenna on.

It might be interesting to listen to, but random contacts like the old days of CB are not common.

Keep in mind that GMRS requires an FCC license in the USA.
In Canada, the GMRS service is limited to 2 watts, non-removeable antenna.

If you really want to listen to GMRS on your trip, a basic scanner will do what you need and cost less. Plus, it'll let you hear the LADD channels in Canada.
Excellent response!

God, I hope that GMRS does not become the new CB.

GMRS means FCC license. FCC license means "good behavior." FCC means hefty fines and/or warnings for aberrant behavior.

I don't want Charlie breathing down my neck. I don't want the Federal government breathing down my neck for any reason.

For me, I am interested in FM CB, or even better, P25 CB. Let me emphasize one thing about this interest in P25 CB. It is in the category of "make believe."

I prefer the no-man's-land of CB where aberrant behavior is expected. To me, this shows a little slice of the attitude of real people, good and bad. People can be themselves. Having said this, I wish they made a skip-choke.

Now, I have shared "my" opinion. I am quite certain many won't agree with me. Oh, well.

I do have a question. Is there a specific GMRS frequency/channel for highway travel, like channel 19?
As far as i'm concerned the "FCC" threats are kind of a joke , We always hear legal this and legal that , all these laws that are never really enforced . at least to to the average handheld radio user who may be transmitting via their mobile unit or their uv5r . a lot of people take that stuff too seriously . I'm not worried , plus up here in Canada we require no license to use GMRS . most truckers here don't have licenses for using their vhf/uhf radios . no body enforces any of these so called laws unless someone is doing serious misbehavior on the air

sloop

If all you want is to monitor and not converse with others get an analog scanner, program it with all CB, FRS, GMRS frequencies, lay it on the dash, and plug it into the lighter outlet. If you want to talk, the President Randy FCC CB laying on the dash will get an average of 5 miles receive and 2 miles transmitting from inside the vehicle (mileage based on using this system from NC to KY on the interstates). The CB also has weather alert which is great when traveling. Keep it simple, no need to go through the hassle of mounting a radio, running a power line and coax if you do not intend to use it after your trip.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As far as i'm concerned the "FCC" threats are kind of a joke , We always hear legal this and legal that , all these laws that are never really enforced . at least to to the average handheld radio user who may be transmitting via their mobile unit or their uv5r . a lot of people take that stuff too seriously . I'm not worried , plus up here in Canada we require no license to use GMRS . most truckers here don't have licenses for using their vhf/uhf radios . no body enforces any of these so called laws unless someone is doing serious misbehavior on the air

All true.

For those from outside the USA and those new to GMRS and other radio services, it's good to at least be aware of what the rules/requirements are.

Wether you choose to follow those or not is up to you. None of us are the radio police.

Big problem we have on this site is there are a lot that will share incorrect/false info. There is value in making sure accurate/documented information is shared. For those new to the hobby, it's good to at least understand the basics, even if you don't agree witht hem.

Wynterspop

I live in WA State and am on the road a lot. I occasionally hear chatter on 19 driving around WA, OR and ID but not a lot. However, two months ago I was back east running up and down I65 from IN to TN, and noticed CB radio is used significantly more back there. Not just SSB but AM as well.

slowmover

I live in WA State and am on the road a lot. I occasionally hear chatter on 19 driving around WA, OR and ID but not a lot. However, two months ago I was back east running up and down I65 from IN to TN, and noticed CB radio is used significantly more back there. Not just SSB but AM as well.
Primarily, population density, then commodity movement.

CB use in rural agricultural communities never really went away. Americas food factory, or,

IMG_3406.jpg

in the industrialized sectors of the Midwest (combination with Ag)

Ohio is likely the center of all things “radio” as to what you’ll hear.

The IH-65 corridor is a heavily-trafficked N-S artery. In one sense it defines the beginning of the heavily-populated USA when one is traveling East.

Here, the green also represents the rainfall line. By the time one has reached IH-65, there is substantial population in all directions.

Indianapolis is the point from which all continental truck traffic vectors.

IMG_1217.jpeg

As a general note, when the truck speed limit falls below 70-MPH is when you’ll hear the most AM-19 chatter. That, and scale house activity.

West coast truckers stay along IH-5. Don’t venture away. Already know what’s needed to get to destination. West coast lives too much on transfer payments of the artificial post-war boom era. Not much indigenous production needing export to the rest of the country that rail doesn’t already carry.

Last edited:

niceguy71

thank you everyone for all of the great information ! , I have decided to ditch the CB radio idea and go with a VHF/UHF mobile setup . I'm looking at a Anytone 779UV . I'm hearing that GMRS is the "new cb radio" these days and there is lots of highway/interstate usage in the USA . plus up here in Canada most truckers use the LADD and RR channels on VHF .
your trip must be done now? so how did your GMRS work out for you???...