Decisions, decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Need a spot of help. I'm currently contemplating adding another receiver to the stable, so I've been watching for the Icom IC-R8600s to come available. Fearing that the price may be more than I'm willing to spend, I'm also researching alternatives. The two radios that have caught my interest the most are the NRD-535DB and the NRD-545DSP.

I'm hoping someone here has gone down this path and has a good feel for these two radios. I would appreciate hearing if you selected one over the other and the why you selected what you did.

Thanks!

--
Mike

Turbo68

Hi Mike i use to have the NRD-545DSP on vhf the aircraft band performance is excellent for hf was only used to monitor hf aircraft performance wasnt very good in fact i was disapointed compare to my other receivers which are using same antennas wellbrook active loops and pk loops dipoles sold it with no regret.

Regards Lino.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate the reply. The more I research, the more I come to the conclusion that the NRD-535DB is the better set-up for the type of listening I do. The fact that this is also the less expensive route is also a plus.

So, I guess I wait until the pricing on the IC-R8600 is announced and move on from there.

Thanks again for your input.

--
Mike

Turbo68

Hi Mike no worries did forget to mention that i had the vhf/uhf coverter actually i was in the shack monitoring hf aero on my Icom PCR1000,PCR1500 been buying icom wideband receivers for 30 years and i can honestly say there performance is excellent across all bands.

Regards Lino.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Decision made. Had the opportunity to put the NRD-535D on the bench with it connected to an antenna, and after working with it, that is what I sprang for. So far, it has made a great addition to my listening.

--
Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Good choice. I'm still very happy with my NRD515 after all these years but I have plenty of other HF radios to play with! Many reviewers say the 535d is the best of the bunch, the DSP in the 545 is not an improvement.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Good choice. I'm still very happy with my NRD515 after all these years but I have plenty of other HF radios to play with! Many reviewers say the 535d is the best of the bunch, the DSP in the 545 is not an improvement.

A lack of radios is not my issue, either. :)

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.