Denville PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJFireD1

Any word on the new frequencies for Denville PD? I haven't heard anything across their old frequency and the county talk group (272) has been silent for me (maybe position). I have been hearing DPW transmissions on their second frequency.

SCPD

QRT
Got word that the PD and FD swapped frequencies.PD got 460.5875 which is digital now. FD got the two frequencies 460./465.5375 as the new FG's.

NJFireD1

Any word on the details? I have tried a p25 code search but haven't hit yet.

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
locked one of my 996t's on the frequency csq and will open for either analog or digital. we'll see what i come up with at the end of the day, and i'll let you all know.

when im home later ill boot up the macbook air and run dsd tomorrow while i'm at work to see if it's anything other than p25, although i sincerely doubt that denville would go with anything that isn't a public safety standard.

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
Now granted I'm in scotch plains, but I hear denville fd just fine, so that being said...

http://rfissel.dyndns.org/01-08-14/Morris/Denville - Denville PD1 - 13-46-10.mp3

That's all that was recorded all day. Forgive the low quality of the mp3. I say if it sounds like anything, it is p25, but again that could just be the low quality, and it is just an open carrier.

Will up the sample/bit rate and try again tomorrow...

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
if this ends up being the case, denville surprised me with this decision. nothing like putting yourself on a public safety communications island.

i just do not understand the concept of agencies using non-public safety protocols for communications. and no, i am not getting into a sour grapes discussion about "wah wah wah i can't listen to them anymore." they're not all that exciting to begin with...

with the sheer amount of federal grant money out there in our area, potentially isolating your agency from some of that cash because you're using a non-P25 digital system is stupid. you've screwed yourself from inter-agency communications without getting permission from the county comm center, and using the county TRS. people-based communications (think dispatchers) break down more often and quickly than the general public would imagine, and forcing yourself to play the telephone game when you might not have had to can also become a safety issue.

if, in the unlikely event, they did this to prevent snooping and eavesdropping (because scanner listeners are evil), you should have ponied up and gone p25 encrypted. it probably costs more than your nxdn system, but then again, most things that are proven to work well in this type of environment are more expensive.

that said, i'm looking forward to finally have an agency with NXDN to monitor with DSD (provided they don't encrypt).

might as well keep that talkgroup on the county TRS up and ready to go at a moment's notice. they needed it all the time in the past for radio failures, and if NXDN is anything like the failed OpenSky "public safety" protocol, they'll probably need it again.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
FYI, 460.5875 is also licensed to Hardyston Twp. FD as a link to Sussex Fire 1, 46.10. if this helps you.

rmosier

I'm sure the answer is probably NO, but I'll go ahead and ask.. Is there any way to monitor Denville PD now that it's NXDN?

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
dsd and dsd+ will do it, with reportedly good success. a rather unconventional way to listen to a department, but the only option that I know of.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I need someone close to confirm the firegrounds for me - someone submitted data today claiming that the FD is using the PD frequencies in NFM simplex mode, where the FCC licenses clearly show the FD on 460.5375/465.5375 (NOT .5875).

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
rmosier, I see you posted in the dsd sub already. there is a lot of good information out there on how to use it. you'll need to start with either a tapped scanner or an rtl-sdr stick. lotta fun to be had here with cheap hardware and free software!

rmosier

Fizz306 - Thanks for the info. I have an AR8200 tapped. And I'm setting up DSD and CYGwin. With any luck I'll be able to hear Denville PD again. Anyone know if it's in compliance with the live feed terms to broadcast NXDN? I sure miss the good ol' days when you found a frequency, maybe a PL, and that was it.

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
I am going to direct you to the dsd+ forums where you will be able to download this new software (it's different from the original dsd). I've never monitored any nxdn systems, but users are reporting great success monitoring this protocol with the new dsd+. Additionally you don't need the Cygwin library to use the software...one less headache. This should get you started...

This is a good place to get started with everything dsd and dsd+:

http://forums.radioreference.com/digital-voice-decoding-software/

And specifically dsd+ with download links (don't forget to read all 18 pages of the thread):

http://forums.radioreference.com/digital-voice-decoding-software/280577-dsdplus.html

Good luck!

SCPD

QRT
Heard that the PD been having issues with new system. In certain areas of the township, The portables can't be heard at Hq.'s.

Status
Not open for further replies.