Department of Environmental Conservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
To my knowledge they are not P25 at least in my area. They may be using other agencies systems that may be P25. I know in my area when the NYSP installed their new radios one got programmed to transmit p25 on car to car but no one ever noticed.

Warthog1

Silent Key
I still haveENCON in analog up here in Fulton County. In which troop do the NYSP now have P-25 on Car to Car ? I'm in Troop G, Zone 3

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I still haveENCON in analog up here in Fulton County. In which troop do the NYSP now have P-25 on Car to Car ? I'm in Troop G, Zone 3

I am pretty certain that the Troop E units who work Monroe County have the same radios as the rest of the county. It would stand to reason that the EnCon cars would have them too.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Steve, EnCon are on VHF and not UHF.

EnCon itself operates on their normal VHF channels, never said they didn't.

However, in Monroe County, it is highly likely that, like the SP's, the EnCon officers will also have the Monroe County capable digital radios in their cars so that they can communicate directly with MC units. It may only be a handful of officers - probably just the ones that have portions of Monroe County in their coverage areas.

The county has traditionally made their radios available to police agencies like the SP's and EnCon for the units that work there. You would be very surprised at the full list of agencies that have the Monroe County radios or the capability to talk directly on the county's digital channels.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
When did they switch to P25?

Ken, please be more specific as to what DEC frequencies you're hearing P25 on, and if it's only in the Rochester area you're hearing it. Your thread title and initial post is very vague and could lead to confusion for listeners without further clarification and details.

warren

Has anyone monitored EnCCon Region 1 recently, seems like they are gone?

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
When I heard the radio tech, he said something GEN 3 was back up?

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
When I heard the radio tech, he said something GEN 3 was back up?

You're still not giving us a frequency. Asking when DEC "switched to P25" without providing any clue as to what frequency you actually heard DEC units operating in P25 mode on is not going to get you an answer to your question. :confused:

Hopefully k2hz will see this thread and shed some light on the situation. I've been working with him for the past few months confirming DEC PL tones in Western NY, and he has made absolutely no mention of any P25 activity on DEC's VHF frequencies. Since he's in Rochester also, and has been logging 24/7 for nearly two months, he certainly would've picked up on anything of the sort.

I suspect Steve is correct, and that you are hearing DEC on local Monroe County P25 frequencies, not on their own VHF system.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I'm not here to argue or dispute with anyone here. This is a hobby to me and I don't take it to seriously. I'm sorry I posted anything. the only thing I can or will add, is that I was listening to Region 8.

k2hz

Database Admin
As of the last activity I have heard on 159.225, 159.300, 159.435 and 159.465 from Regions 8 & 9 in the Rochester area 10 days ago all activity was still analog. Their radio control network is now VOIP but the radios are analog. There is not much activity this time of year.

I lost my VHF antenna in the 2/24 windstorm and am waiting for good wether to put it back up so I have not listened to DEC since then otherthan to check yesterday afternoon when I saw your post. I heard no activty on my discone antenna which still can pick up anything in the immediate area.

I don't really monitor "24/7" but I do normally scan the DEC channels when I am near the radio. I did recently have a friend run a 24/7 scan to get "hits" on active PLs for several weeks.

What frequency were you listening to and what units did you hear?

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I will take a guess it was 159.465 and all I heard was the radio tech talking and saying that the system is up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.