Detective Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

satvsys

My first post and am new at scanning. I have a Bearcat 895XLT and an old RS PRO 2004. Don't use the 2004, but have just started setting up the 895XLT for the Greenville/Spartanburg area. My question is, can the audio between detectives be heard? I have seen on TV in other cities, the detectives were using their Nextel phone for communications.

If detective transmission can be monitored, would my present scanner work or would I need the more advaced digital trunking type

Thanks
Ken

firefighter89

The Spartanburg Co. Sheriffs Dept. and EMS operates on the Palmetto 800 trunked system. They use analog talkgroups so your BC895XLT can monitor them. Spartanburg County fire, town police departments, and Spartanburg City PD and FD are still on conventional frequencies. Most agencies in Greenville County are still using their conventional systems except for Greenville City FD and PD which use digital talkgroups on the Palmetto 800 system. Greenville Co. SD also has some digital talkgroups on the system as well as most county police departments, but they use their conventional frequencies for day to day operations.

In Spartanburg County the detectives and investigators have their own talkgroup on the Palmetto 800 system. I don't monitor Greenville that much but they may be on Palmetto 800 as well.

bpalmer

I will just add that police have used telephones for ever to have a more private or personal message. So sometimes phones, either land line or cellular are used, around here in Beaufort more often then not to give long reports to there supervisor or each other, or to report very sensitive information.

satvsys

Thanks Billy and firefighter for the replies. I am today setting up some trunking on the Palmetto system you mentioned. Also getting familiar with this 895xlt. Will sit tight for now,as far as upgrading, as I am hearing more than enough for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.