Difference between conventional and trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTilman

I have been playing around on a kenwood tk-8180 and I noticed that there is a conventional group and a trunking system setting on it. I am not a ham operator but may be looking at getting my license at some point. My question is what is the difference between the 2 different modes? Like I said in an earlier post that I made. I'm a complete noob when it comes to radio stuff and trying to learn as I go. Thanks for your help in advance.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have been playing around on a kenwood tk-8180 and I noticed that there is a conventional group and a trunking system setting on it. I am not a ham operator but may be looking at getting my license at some point. My question is what is the difference between the 2 different modes? Like I said in an earlier post that I made. I'm a complete noob when it comes to radio stuff and trying to learn as I go. Thanks for your help in advance.

Some trunking info here:

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki

marksmith

Follow above link. Explaining the difference in a response post adequately would be impossible.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

troymail

Silent Key
The idea of trunked vs. conventional is to allow for more sets of users to use less frequencies by "sharing" the available resource. Since many "channels" (frequencies) in conventional usage go unused for extended periods, a trunk system has the ability to "fill" that unused space with other users.

Simplest terms -

CONVENTIONAL frequencies - a fixed frequency, typically assigned to a specific set of users for a specific purpose. For example:

154.16 - COUNTY Fire Dispatch
154.25 - COUNTY Fire Response

TRUNKED - A system that typically contains a "set" of frequencies where a computer decides upon which if the set of frequencies a particular conversation will be carried. Typically, the only frequency that is "fixed" in this set is one dedicated to a data stream known as a control channel which all radios on the system monitor to determine which frequency the "talkgroup" they are on is being carried upon.

Instead of fixed frequencies, a "talkgroup" (internal system identifier) is assigned to a channel (i.e. "Fire Dispatch").

Generally, every time a user on specific "talkgroup" want to talk, the computer assigns that "talkgroup" and all users on that talkgroup to (generally) a random frequency in the system. The reply of that "tallkgroup" could be assigned a completely different frequency but will usually still be on the same "talkgroup".

In trunked mode, you can have many times as many "talkgroups" as there are system frequencies. Some systems have dozens of "talkgroups" and only a handful (less than 10) actually frequencies.

DTilman

Hey everybody! Thanks for answering my question. You were all very helpful. Glad that I have a resource that I can ask my questions and not feel like a complete idiot. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.