Differences in how database administrators take submitted data

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonHanson

I've noticed in some cases that submitted data will be handled very differently between different database administrators. For example, I submit a lot of business information and I also submit it with the relevant geotag information for location-based scanners. Some database administrators will take my information as it is and my a new sub-category and put in the geotag information. For example, I recently submitted some hotel information for a place I stayed. I submitted the information with the correct geotag. Once it got worked I went back and looked and the information I submitted was just put in a county-wide "Hotels" subcategory and essentially my geotag information was thrown-out.

I get that not everyone cares about non-emergency services but I would think if someone takes the time to submit such information that it would get the same care that any other entry has.

There doesn't seem to be any standard for this or a standard is not being followed by virtue of how different database administrators are handing submitted information.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

Start reading from that part (County-Level Pages) and you'll see that our standards are to be somewhat flexible.

Specifically, if there are not a lot of listings for a particular county, then we're not going to start creating a ton of categories and agency pages, instead everything will be organized onto the main county page, or maybe they'll be one generic "Businesses" agency page for the county.

And of course not every business or hotel or (fill in the blank) needs to have its own subcategory. Yes, geodata is nice, but that has to be balanced with not creating an excessive amount of categories and subcategories.

To be perfectly blunt, yes...non-public safety listings are going to be somewhat of a lower priority when it comes to creating subcategories, especially if the sole reason for doing so is to include hyper-specific geodata. Frankly, it's not a priority to list geodata down to 1/16th of a mile radius just to catalog the maintenance staff of ABC Hotel using low powered portable radios.

So while yes, it can seem inconsistent, there is often a method behind the madness.

mciupa

I love it when I receive submissions from submitters as thorough as yours. Thank you for your attention to detail. I took a peek at the county business category: Businesses (Coconino County) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I would say it is reasonable to keep it in a county wide Hotel category. Where have you seen the inconsistencies of submissions and what is the frequency of these occurrences?

Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.