Digital Hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltginrage

Hello,
I read a thread a few weeks ago that mention using a DMR hotspot to reach networks around the world. I read up on some articles about hotspots, most of them said they could only be used like a small power output repeater locally (less than a mile). I'm probaly not understanding the concept correctly so could someone explain what the digital hotspot could be used for.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If you don't have a digital repeater close by or if your local one doesn't carry a particular talkgroup you want to use, you can use a hotspot. So for instance if you wanted to talk on a certain talkgroup in another part of the country (or world) you would use the hotspot to link to it over the internet, then just use your radio as normal. Some say it's not 'real' radio as it does use the internet to connect users. I personally enjoy it because all my local machines are usually dead or just the same old people talking about doctors visits. There are some talkgroups that you may have an interest in but wouldn't be able to get on your local repeaters.

ltginrage

That makes more sense. So lets say I bought a hotspot and got my technicians license. I would be able to use the hotspot to connect to a dmr repeater in Utah (for example) using a internet connection and talk on it using a DMR radio.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
That is it exactly. I was hesitant at first how much I would use one, so I bought the cheap ~$80 mmdvm. Definitely glad I got one.

ltginrage

That honestly sounds like some fun. Is it easy to set up because I may get one now.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I didn't have issues setting mine up at all. Used these instructions Amateur radio: Pi-Star
Another user asked on a different thread where I got my hotspot at so I'll add it here too. I have nothing to gain by recommending this seller. I was just very happy with their service. Super fast shipping and no problems with the product. Ebay item number 114279610544 seller 'ttci'. Slightly more expensive than some but the fact it ships from the US and quickly is what made me go with them. Overseas returns are a pain. I use my hotspot with a tyt md380 with the custom firmware. Great cheap setup and the custom firmware allows for adhoc talkgroups which is super nice. For less than $200 the radio and hotspot is a great combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.