Digital Loggers Multicoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper43

Ok, I put this in the antenna forum as it didn't seem to fit elsewhere and it does deal with antennas.
For those of you who are like me and have a lot of scanners/recievers but don't want a seperate outdoor antenna for each one, one choice may be the Digital Loggers Inc Wideband RF Multicoupler. This is a single antenna in and 16 channels out with a mild preamp to help boost the weak signals a tad 2.1 gain on each channel. At $295 it was much cheaper than similar units but works just as well. I found that the 2.1 gain was just enough to bump the New Indy MECA Digital system to where I don't loose the CC at all now. I also found I am pulling in a lot of SAFET sites I couldn't get at home before.
If you don't have 16 recievers yet you can use 50 Ohm BNC terminators on the unused outputs. It comes in a Rackmount cabinet ready to mount and it requires one 115v outlet.
All outputs are BNC connectors, while the antenna in is a UG146 - N type connection, thats the only thing I didn't like, but a trip to Radio Shack and purchase of RS part # 278-156 UG146 N to PL-259 took care of the antenna connection. I do wish it a Power On LED though as I forget it is plugged in with no indicator light.
The unit is well built, none of the connectors were loose and it seems as if care was taken in production.
I like it well enough that when I get enough additional radios I'll get a second unit.
The 4 channel Stridesburg MC204 that this replaced will now be mounted in the Jeep to make life easier in there too.
I'd suggest using well built BNC jumpers to go from the multicoupler and the scanner/reciever instead of the cheap ones RS sells as they do not fit well.
Also if you want different connectors on the input or output you can special order them when you order the unit. Now if they just made 7 channel versions!

Forgot the link! http://www.digital-loggers.com/multi.html

V

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
the antenna in is a UG146 - N type connection, thats the only thing I didn't like

N connectors are inherently better than UHF connectors. UHF connectors were never designed or intended to operate above 300 MHz. Unfortunately, many antennas still come with UHF connectors, leaving people little choice but to use them. Personally, I'd install a good quality N connector on the multicoupler side of the cable (skipping the adapter altogether), and a good quality UHF connector on the antenna side if that's what it calls for. Skip the Rat Shack junk altogether and spend a few bucks buying Amphenol, RF Industries, Emerson or Times Microwave brand connectors/adapters.

Sounds like a nice unit, though. As you said, would be great if they made one with less outputs for a little variety. 16 is probably overkill for many people.

trooperdude

Database Admin
Looks like an interesting unit, but there are no published technical specs for it.

I'd be leery paying $300 on just the marketing bs.

Oh and stay away from ANYTHING Radio Shack for RF.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Looks like an interesting unit, but there are no published technical specs for it.

I'd be leery paying $300 on just the marketing bs.

Oh and stay away from ANYTHING Radio Shack for RF.

Great find viper43!

The company looks a little more credible than Radio Shack for sure:

Digital Loggers, Inc. manufactures reliable, cost effective recording systems and switches for government and commercial applications. DLI employs 42 specialized employees and operates a 21,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Santa Clara, California. We have serviced 18,000 customers in over 19 years of business. Government customers include the US Navy, US Secret Service, state and local law enforcement. Read our founder's bio. References are available upon request.

The do show specs on their site. If you needed more details than that, I'm certain they could provide them.

NEW! Wideband RF Multicoupler
Run up to 16 receivers from a single antenna without interference or intermodulation. Active low-noise amplification gives you 2.1dB gain on all ports. Gas tube lighting protection keeps your receivers safe.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Low Noise, Wide Band Operation[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
With less than 1.8dB noise figure and 36dB port-to-port isolation you'll get great performance, even with relatively inexpensive receivers. Receive everything flat, from 30MHz to 1100MHz without settings or filtering. All connectors are 50-ohm BNC female.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Incredible Pricing - $295!
Good multicouplers simply cost too much. We designed these for maximum performance at an affordable price.
[/FONT]

Viper43

I'd have been leary too but if you read the whole page you'll see that
1: Money back guarantee if you don't like it during the first 15 days
2: as mentioned they do sell equipment to the government

And a phone call to them helps as well. I never buy before talking to someone at the company first when dealing with online sales.
They have a couple other items i may be picking up as well, but that will wait for now... too much other stuff going on, including installing a 50' crank up and tilt tower I got a couple weeks ago.

V

Viper43

I thought about it but the shipping is outrageous any more :(

V

Status
Not open for further replies.