• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

digital ltr

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

LTR control of digital repeaters should be possible, although I can't imagine why anyone would bother...

LTR

I've heard that Trident is working on a digital version of PassPort.

N

N_Jay

LTR said:
I've heard that Trident is working on a digital version of PassPort.

That would be interesting because they would have to partner with a radio company to pick and manufacture a digital format radio that is capable of "subaudible" data, simultaneous with the vocoded voice.

Then again, anything is possible.

I "heard" the world is ending tomorrow! (Oh wait, that was just the drunk at the bus stop)

N

N_Jay

DaveNF2G said:
LTR control of digital repeaters should be possible, although I can't imagine why anyone would bother...

And how do you propose they pass the subaudible data?

D

DaveNF2G

Digital is just another emission mode. Why can't LTR data be sent digitally? It would become DLTR, but that answers the description.

N

N_Jay

DaveNF2G said:
Digital is just another emission mode. Why can't LTR data be sent digitally? It would become DLTR, but that answers the description.
If it were only that simple.

The issue is that the success of LTR was mostly due to the ability for almost any analog radio be able to handle the LTR format.

The low-speed data fits in the ctcss/dcs analog bandpass (Below 300 Hz), and the voice or 1200 BPS data fits in the voice bandpass (300 to 2400 Hz).

When you go to digital equipment the encoding and modulation systems it is not as simple.
There is not an easy and uniform one-to-one relationship.

If someone were to put in all the effort to design a whole new protocol to fit "LTR" on a digital format, why would you want it to be LTR? (Other than maybe no control channel)

D

DaveNF2G

Not to mention decentralized trunking.

I think your hair-splitting demonstrates a desire to show off "superior" knowledge rather than a highly considered and genuine technological issue. Digital LTR is not conceptually as complicated as you make it sound. I hope actual system designers aren't as easily discouraged as you appear to be.

Then again, I guess we hobbyists would be better off if designers were put off by "complicated" innovations. Then we wouldn't have to buy new scanners so often. :)

By the way, if somebody starts selling a DLTR-type system, I want royalties!

N

N_Jay

DaveNF2G said:
Not to mention decentralized trunking.

I think your hair-splitting demonstrates a desire to show off "superior" knowledge rather than a highly considered and genuine technological issue. Digital LTR is not conceptually as complicated as you make it sound. I hope actual system designers aren't as easily discouraged as you appear to be.

Then again, I guess we hobbyists would be better off if designers were put off by "complicated" innovations. Then we wouldn't have to buy new scanners so often. :)

By the way, if somebody starts selling a DLTR-type system, I want royalties!

Well, I guess if you define it as;
"something digital that does something like what LTR does"
then conceptually it is easy. :roll:

However everything is "conceptually easy"

You seem to have in your mind exactly what DLTR is, and what it is not.
I guess I don't have your vision.

EDIT:

Just to clarify what you call "hair-splitting".
If you want royalties for what DLTR is, you had better have a very good definition of what DLTR is not!
(in the patent game, definition is everything, and nothing defines and issue better then defining the other side.)

Last edited:

Avenger44

EF Johnson is not doing Much at all anymore with LTR . There now going to Multi-Net , Multi-Net II , and Multi-Net III Digital P25 Trunking .

Steve.

N

N_Jay

Avenger44 said:
EF Johnson is not doing Much at all anymore with LTR . There now going to Multi-Net , Multi-Net II , and Multi-Net III Digital P25 Trunking .

Steve.

I don't think EFJ is doing anything with Multi-Net at all.
I have not seen them use the name in relation to there P25 products at all.

If you have a link it would be helpful.

Avenger44

There U go N Jay ..... I have a Few Of these radios . Chester County , PA . then there is DOD . US Army . and a few othere's .

Steve.

N

N_Jay

Avenger44 said:
There U go N Jay ..... I have a Few Of these radios . Chester County , PA . then there is DOD . US Army . and a few othere's .

Steve.

Cool.

At least they did not leave their Multi-Net customers high and dry.

Still nothing about P25 being called "Multi-Net III", but another link could make me wrong twice in one day. :)

Avenger44

Multi-Net III is Multi-Net Tunking but with P25 Mixed in . So you can use Analog or P25 On the Multi-Net Trunked System . It's not on File as Multi-Net III , But it is Sold to the Customer as Multi-Net III .

N

N_Jay

Avenger44 said:
Multi-Net III is Multi-Net Tunking but with P25 Mixed in . So you can use Analog or P25 On the Multi-Net Trunked System . It's not on File as Multi-Net III , But it is Sold to the Customer as Multi-Net III .

Interesting.

Any information you have on putting P25 on a Multi-Net system would be helpful.

Avenger44

N_Jay said:
Interesting.

Any information you have on putting P25 on a Multi-Net system would be helpful.

I'll see what I can find . and Post the Information . I do alot of Programming with EF Johnson Radios . Convetional , LTR, Radios , and Multi-Net Radios .

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.