• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Digital modes or ?

jjhendo

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
160
Reaction score
65
Location
Eagan, MN, US&A
I didn't think there was digital modes on FRS/GMRS, but I keep hearing that horrible jackhammer sound on my SDS200 scanner on the GMRS list, like your trying to hear a digital signal on an analog. But this is a digital scanner and I even got the DMR upgrade! Could it be another digital mode? What is going on here??
 

hill

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,325
Reaction score
1,706
Location
Middle River, MD
Might be on adjacent frequency to GMRS. With scanners being wideband radios many times frequencies near bleed onto it.

With other 462 MHz frequencies being Part 90 you should do a seach of the 462 frequency range.
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,325
Reaction score
4,893
Location
Taxachusetts
I didn't think there was digital modes on FRS/GMRS, but I keep hearing that horrible jackhammer sound on my SDS200 scanner on the GMRS list, like your trying to hear a digital signal on an analog. But this is a digital scanner and I even got the DMR upgrade! Could it be another digital mode? What is going on here??
Which specific Freq ? not channel #
 

belvdr

Active Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2013
Messages
2,604
Reaction score
1,682
I didn't think there was digital modes on FRS/GMRS, but I keep hearing that horrible jackhammer sound on my SDS200 scanner on the GMRS list, like your trying to hear a digital signal on an analog. But this is a digital scanner and I even got the DMR upgrade! Could it be another digital mode? What is going on here??
I get this type of sound frequently on 2m here. I haven't had anyone able to identify it. I'll see if I can get a recording some time and see how it compares.
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2010
Messages
658
Reaction score
229
Location
Southern California
When I worked on Land Mobile Raios, there what was called splinter frequency between input and out put repeater freqs.
A over the counter scanner may have a wide
receiver and possibly picking those signals
Food for thought.


DW
swl op
wdx6hwo
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,325
Reaction score
4,893
Location
Taxachusetts
When I worked on Land Mobile Raios, there what was called splinter frequency between input and out put repeater freqs.
A over the counter scanner may have a wide
receiver and possibly picking those signals
Food for thought.


DW
swl op
wdx6hwo
Sadly what WE all knew as splinters are now full-use frequencies, all the old 12.5 khz and now even using 6.25 channel spacings
 

jjhendo

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
160
Reaction score
65
Location
Eagan, MN, US&A
I get this type of sound frequently on 2m here. I haven't had anyone able to identify it. I'll see if I can get a recording some time and see how it compares.
Yeah, its really annoying. Whatever digital mode it may be, I'm not sure why this scanner can't decode it..?
 

jjhendo

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
160
Reaction score
65
Location
Eagan, MN, US&A
Could be P25, NXDN, DMR, D-Star or YSF- all of which are permissible on part 97.
Huh. Well I don't have the NXDN upgrade, but it didn't sound like the other NXDN signal noise I get on rail. I would have thought the SDS would hear everything else?
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,325
Reaction score
4,893
Location
Taxachusetts
Last edited:

nd5y

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
12,661
Reaction score
5,018
Location
Wichita Falls, TX

MUTNAV

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 27, 2018
Messages
1,742
Reaction score
2,133
I didn't think there was digital modes on FRS/GMRS, but I keep hearing that horrible jackhammer sound on my SDS200 scanner on the GMRS list, like your trying to hear a digital signal on an analog. But this is a digital scanner and I even got the DMR upgrade! Could it be another digital mode? What is going on here??
I think there were some exceptions for some positioning information like Garmins Rino 120s etc... Although it probably isn't what you're talking about having heard.
 

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Joined
Sep 27, 2019
Messages
730
Reaction score
907
Location
Deep Down
It may be DMR control channel splatter from 462MHz Part 90 users. That has been a major issue in Arizona.
 

ecps92

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
16,325
Reaction score
4,893
Location
Taxachusetts
I have in my radio, channel 2 as FRS/GMRS as 462.587 mc.
But is that a GMRS frequency or a combo frequency?
From FCC data base.


DW
swl op
wdx6hwo
Thanks 462.5875 is a simplex GMRS splinter and original FRS only

likely, either someone not following the rules, altho you indicate nothing decodes, so then could be one of the Rhino with GPS (sold for Dog tracking in some areas)

Outside of interference from Part 90 channels, you would have likely already noticed images from other sources
 

CollinsURG

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
585
Reaction score
602
Location
North Carolina
It may be an image frequency. Something on another frequency appearing in the IF stage that is a product of the mixer.

Do you have a different scanner or radio that can tune that frequency? Does it also receive it when tuned to the same frequency? If another radio does not receive it. It is most likely an image.
 
Top