Digital monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

anchor1

While I have been a scanner listener for many years, I am relatively new to monitoring a P-25 system, using a Radio Shack PRO-197 and a Uniden HP-1. Is it normal for some digital transmissions to sound garbled? Or sometimes inaudible (i.e., I'll hear a transmission on one scanner, while the other scanner in the next room is silent on the same frequency). This situation occurs sporadically. Any insight would be appreciated. -- P.S. The P-25 system I monitor is relatively new (Bedford County, PA), which went on line last October.

N8IAA

OK, for clarification, are you speaking of the conventional, P-25 frequencies that are listed here in the RR database? If so, they are not a system, but are conventional frequencies that use P-25. Or, is there a trunked system that you are speaking of? To help we need to know.
Larry

N8IAA

Is it normal for some digital transmissions to sound garbled? Or sometimes inaudible (i.e., I'll hear a transmission on one scanner, while the other scanner in the next room is silent on the same frequency). This situation occurs sporadically. Any insight would be appreciated. -- P.S. The P-25 system I monitor is relatively new (Bedford County, PA), which went on line last October.
Which scanner is silent?
Larry

anchor1

Bedford County uses conventional P-25 frequencies, as listed in the RR Database, not a trunked system. As to which scanner is active when the other is silent, it goes both ways.

N8IAA

What kind of antenna are you using for both scanners? If it is the supplied antennas, they won't work to good. If you are using a 150/450MHz gain antenna, it should help. I receive P-25 conventional quite well on my 106/197/396XT.
Larry

anchor1

I think you're correct, N81AA, in that my problem is at least partially antenna-related. I live in a small apartment in a building where outside antennas are not permitted. I use the stock antenna on the HP-1 because it is my "carry with me" radio. On the PRO-197, I use an indoor coaxial antenna I got from C. Crane, tacked up next to the front window...a slight improvement over the stock antenna. Anyway, I have since disengaged the attenuation on the digital channels, and have noticed some improvement. I also think the county's radio contractor is still working out bugs in the system, as I still hear them asking dispatchers and responders to do " five-counts" on the digital frequencies. Here's hoping the situation continues to improve. Thanks to all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.