Digital scanner for OKC METRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue69

In the market for a digital scanner for OKC would those of you in the know recommend the 996xt/396xt or would you recommend going to the new 536/436 big fan of uniden have the ability to program so that's not aissuee just would like to get some input before letting go of the cash any recommendations would be appreciated thanks!

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I like my XTs but I'm glad I had a 396T first - it came with software and a manual. Uniden learned from their XT mistake (no real manual, no included software) and have both for the 'HPs. "Someday" the OKWIN sites will all be updated to P25 and it may be the case that the PTB decide to go straight to the TDMA stuff rather than the "regular" P25. IMHO, the longer the time to the upgrade the more likely that is to happen (because Phase II will eventually be "current" and no longer "new"). Since the 'HPs work with the "new" style, they are obviously a little more future-proof.

That said, there is plenty to listen to in analog, let alone P25. There isn't much P25 save for Tinker, a few random talk groups (Cedar Country Fire? Really?), and EMSA (which is encrypted full-time). So there isn't much you'd "miss" even if you only had an analog scanner.

Now then, I am a radio nerd and I have the budget for an 'HP. Does anyone in Central OK have one? I'd kinda like to at least *see* one before I shell out.

N5TWB

Given the grousing in the Uniden forum about the x36 series, including a recall (????), I have placed these models on my "maybe later" list.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Given the grousing in the Uniden forum about the x36 series, including a recall (????), I have placed these models on my "maybe later" list.

Are there legitimate problems or is this just like the brain surgeons on the XT-related list I'm on that probably would have trouble programming a crystal scanner?

N5TWB

If you want the nitty-gritty details, you'll need to read a lot of posts in the Uniden forum on this site. My broad interpretation says it's a case of the firmware not being ready for prime time -- the same kind of thing that evolved to the conventional wisdom on software packages that you never buy the dot zero version of anything, wait for dot one, or the first Service Pack in the case of Windows.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Recommend you stay with a Proven and Working scanner -unless you perfer recalls, trouble-shooting a premium cost product and all the frustration - and time as the above folks noted...and that has all but at times taken over the threads and front page...

Actually a good business model - roll out the only available new model at the highest cost and let people work for free to fix the most basic design and product flaws ( missing in clearly Test and Beta) and feel like hero's....non paid Hero's - LOL

Or give it another ~ 90 days and see if they can - or can not solve the muliple issues that have plauged the new scanner releases....see if the Whistler Product is a leap frog ahead or sinks is the swamp when/if they release....

My Home Partol works great on Conventional and Digital Trunked Systems, but is only "ok" on P25 Phase 1 systems and does not decode P25 phase 2 which was the biggest draw if your needed that feature...

Just remember what P.T. Barnum likely said....or more recently: caveat emptor!

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Are there legitimate problems or is this just like the brain surgeons on the XT-related list I'm on that probably would have trouble programming a crystal scanner?

Looked around and, yes, there was a legit HW issue with 536HPs (S/N ending with <2600, headphone issue) and there is a program in place to replace the few that made it out. Sounds like whoever assembles the product for Uniden skimped on a part or just screwed up. I rarely read anything but this particular forum so had missed all the news.

Sooooo .... Will probably take the 436 plunge pretty soon (firmware issues do not bother me) ... but I'd sure like to see one in the flesh first.

Status
Not open for further replies.