Discone in attic?

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
I installed a radio shack "sputnik" discone antenna in my attic. The only place I could install it up there was close to a vertical beam. So the antenna is touching the wood of the rafters. Is this going to cause a issue? I am feeding the antenna with RG6 quad shield. Also I installed a half wave end fed HF antenna in the attic also. How far away should the hf antenna be from the scanner antenna?

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
All of mine are in the attic. Including this old Radio Shack all band antenna. This on has LMR-400 coming down. The rest are RG-6 Quad shield with no issues. Only issue would be metal siding or roof.

I have a Yagi on a rotor up there also.

Wood will not bother your antenna.

20240327_205818.jpg

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
All of mine are in the attic. Including this old Radio Shack all band antenna. This on has LMR-400 coming down. The rest are RG-6 Quad shield with no issues. Only issue would be metal siding or roof.

I have a Yagi on a rotor up there also.

Wood will not bother your antenna.

View attachment 159103
That's a interesting antenna, never seen that one sold from Radio Shack. My end fed wire is only about a inch away from the rafters. Think that will be ok? I don't run any more than 100 watts. How about the distance from antenna to antenna? How far apart are your antennas?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I installed a radio shack "sputnik" discone antenna in my attic. The only place I could install it up there was close to a vertical beam. So the antenna is touching the wood of the rafters. Is this going to cause a issue? I am feeding the antenna with RG6 quad shield. Also I installed a half wave end fed HF antenna in the attic also. How far away should the hf antenna be from the scanner antenna?

If you are not transmitting, it's not going to be much of an issue.

The wood would be quite dry, and while all materials will attenuate RF to some extent, dry wood is pretty low.

Since the HF antenna will likely be vertical, and the scanner antenna is vertical, very little interaction between the two.

I'd be more concerned about wiring, HVAC ducts, copper/cast iron pipes/vents, foil backed vapor barrier, or metal in the roofing materials.