Discrete Frequency Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmork

I have been monitoring civil air for a few years. I have a decent idea of how that works with respect to area departure and arrival frequencies. My question is with respect to military discrete usage. Is it common for military aircraft to strictly use discrete frequencies instead of the "common frequencies"?

I am tracking a KC-10 and a K-135 that are circling the Miami area at 22,000 feet. I am assuming it is some support function for POTUS in West Palm. What frequencies would they monitor to direct communication or just Miami Center for coordination with area departing & arriving traffic.

captkel

You'll also find activity on 247.050 and communications with Miami Center on 322.450, I believe that is from the RCAG in Avon Park Florida.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Once they are in the Refueling/Fighter cap, they won't necessarily be communicating with any ATC until they are ready to exit the airspace. It's a block of airspace that ATC sterilizes, so there is no need to worry about arriving and departing traffic.

To get there and upon exiting, they will generally be using standard ATC frequencies. The fighters will almost always use UHF, the tankers will use VHF. There is generally no use of discreet frequencies for that, at least as far as ATC is concerned.

Mike445

You'll also find activity on 247.050 and communications with Miami Center on 322.450, I believe that is from the RCAG in Avon Park Florida.
What is 247.050? I don't have that in any list and I'm not sure how to label it. Thank you.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.