• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Disquise CB antenna needed for Ford Taurus or similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary123

I have scoured the antenna manufacturers and come up dry so I am asking for help.

I have several Ford Taurus (PI) vehicles I need to install CB radios in. We do not want to install an obvious CB antenna. What we want to do is replace the rear roof GPS/AM/FM antenna with a look alike (or close) antenna. We understand that performance will suffer however a lower the profile the happier we will be. We dont care about loosing the existing GPS/AM/FM function.

Note: even oif there isnt an exact one for Ford products we are open to using an antenna for a different manufacture car GM/Chev/Toyota Nissan etc

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I am not aware of an antenna for 11 meters that is the size of a GPS puck antenna, let alone replaces what is there now.

An antenna that does not look like a CB antenna to me is this magnet mount one for $55. Interesting, it has pretty good reviews as well. The reviewers are realistic though with an understanding of a very short range.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A GPS-sized CB antenna won't work--basic physics. A VHF-sized antenna will kind of work, if high performance is not needed. But you're kind of looking for dry water.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Do you plan on transmitting or just receiving?

If you are just receiving, you can use pretty much anything, but understand performance is going to be awful unless it is something fairly long and designed for use on 27MHz.

If you are transmitting, you can get diplexers that will connect between the AM/FM radio antenna, AM/FM radio that allow you to connect a CB, but again, with the little whip on the top of the antenna, it's going to suck.

Low profile and CB don't work.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
In the 1970s there were two competing companies made disguise antennas that turned one of the vehicle windows into a "slot antenna" There was a small tuning box that mounted and grounded to one side of a window and a thin wire stretched across the window and grounded to the other side. I think one was called the "Intenna" and I forget what the other one was called. I have an example of each stashed somewhere that I will try and dig out.

I installed quite a few of these in the 1970s and they work surprisingly well. I've tested them several times against a permanent roof mount antenna while the cars drove until they could not be heard and of course the permanent roof antenna went further, but not that much further.
They show up on Ebay here and there if you know what to look for.

Update!

I found the two disguise antennas and one is the "InTenna" made by Microwave Filter Company and the other is "The Insider" made by Scarborough Laboratories, although they are long out of production. Here is a picture of both.

intenna.JPG

Last edited:

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
In the 1970s there were two competing disguise antennas that made one of the windows a "slot antenna" There was a small tuning box that mounted and grounded to one side of a window and a thin wire stretched across the window and grounded to the other side. I think one was called the "Intenna" and I forget what the other one was called. I have an example of each stashed somewhere that I will try and dig out.

I installed quite a few of these in the 1970s and they work surprisingly well. I've tested them several times against a permanent roof mount antenna while the cars drove until they could not be heard and of course the permanent roof antenna went further, but not that much further.
They show up on Ebay here and there if you know what to look for.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber

Project4

For close-in receive only applications, a 3 or 4 foot "Firestik" style whip laying across the rear deck behind the back seat may be adequate. Another option is a cowl mount "disguise" antenna like these on ebay: "Turner SK755 CB Only Disguise (Cowl) Mount Antenna VINTAGE". It will be a noticeable antenna but shouldn't announce "Police" any louder than any other P.I. sedan.

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
I'd recommend that you check out President's New York Up CB Antenna. It resembles your vehicle's OEM GPS/AM/FM antenna. It's a good quality dual helical 1/4 wave, about 19 1/2", mag mount, 12' coax and has a 10 year warranty. It's a good compromise between performance and appearance. WRAR311

gary123

Thank you for all the replies so far. I knew this would be the place to ask.

The president antenna is the style we are looking for. If there is a hard mount version that would be it exactly. I dont know if anyone else makes something similar. We cant use 'standard' fibergalss whip even if its short nor can we use an on-glass. The antenna must be hard mounted.

fredva

Feed Provider
I have several Ford Taurus (PI) vehicles I need to install CB radios in. We do not want to install an obvious CB antenna. What we want to do is replace the rear roof GPS/AM/FM antenna with a look alike (or close) antenna. We understand that performance will suffer however a lower the profile the happier we will be. We dont care about loosing the existing GPS/AM/FM function.

That's an interesting requirement. I usually associate CBs in police cars with highway patrol work. But I haven't seen highway patrol agencies go to that length to disguise their unmarked cars. And I would think for undercover work, police radios would be used.

gary123

Is a special application. We need interoperability with CB users. But we dont want the big and obvious antennas.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've had this in my junkbox forever.. to use your stock AM/FM antenna for CB..

Attachments

• antennabox1.jpg
    antennabox1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 39
Status
Not open for further replies.