• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hi Y'all; I'm new here and looking for some help. (-Thanks!)

Sheriff45

Hi everyone, as you can tell I am brand new to this forum; please feel free to give me any in-sight. I come with one (snowmobile) forum experience.

Anyways, I have about 2 questions.
First: I have never owned a CB radio, and know very little; but I am looking into getting one. I am not a trucker/rig driver (whatever you call yourselves) but I might be some day considering it but will see that's future. Either way, I am looking to get a decent CB radio, to start learning with, 'fun', and communication of course. I would be putting this in a more normal vehicle, possibly a LITTLE truck or car; and trying to figure out what would be best.
From my little research, I am looking at the different Cobra CB's, but tell me if any where on this post I am heading in the wrong direction.
So I am looking at the Cobra:
• Cobra 25 LTD
• Cobra 29 LTD
• & Cobra 29 LTD NW
I want a good, solid usable radio. But I feel no need to spend more $$ then necessary. So that like 100-200ish for full setup is what I'm trying to keep it down to. From what I have seen the cobras are pretty decent ( starters at-least )
Not being very smart; what difference does it make that the 25 LTD doesn't have AM/FM like the other 2?
I believe that is all right know off the top of my head.

Actually, lucky you guys; today you get to meet my personality. A bonus question, Lol: So pretty sure this is dumb question, but when you are looking at the antennas, ( which I know are just as important as the rest ) what matters is height right? Like if I have a 3 foot antenna on top of a car, = let's say 10 feet high; a 6 foot antenna on the back bumper of the truck = lets say 9 feet is im theory worse then the 10 foot correct?
Another words, height vs antenna/exposed or how much antenna.
Bottom line, height is the kind factor here?

Alright,

2 question.
So let's just assume for a minute that I have a CB, and I have bought a Cobra or whatever CB you want, but it will know be month or 2 till I install it because of vehicle situation, ( say a sale or such )
Is it possible to set it up in the house or something; i understand I would have to connect it to 1 of the vehicle batteries I have laying around, correct? Antenna?
Would I be able to play/duct tape a temporary setup well I wait?

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ANYONE TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS!!!!
Wether you answer or not.
Do not let me waste your time, if I'm an idiot; just ignore,but if you can provide any help to a rookie, greatly appreciated.

I'm God we trust, may he bless you friends, good day and stay safe out there.
Sheriff45=God is good! :)

slowmover

“Power supply” for 120v to 12V.

Use of a quarter-wave whip for house (102” SS). Can be used on vehicle. A basic good antenna to always have.

IMG_0199.jpeg

A household interior setup to study

IMG_2112.gif

1). Entry-level today is an NRC-equipped radio (tremendous noise reduction around vocals).

2). IMO, the radio is AM/SSB such that short & long range is possible.

Antenna should be vehicle roof center. Describe vehicle

There’s all kinds of ways to go cheap. One winds up spending more, long-term.

This is the path I’d recommend based on post. (More details apply). Learning what’s possible on-air shouldn’t be compromised.

Low performance is a huge turn off in short order.

No argument with what others make as their suggestions .

Your budget needs to reflect what’s necessary. So this thread is terms and names for you to read around.

WELCOME!

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
This may help you to understand why 102 inches for a cb antenna.
Take 234 / frequency ch14 - 27.125 x12 gives you 103.5 inches which is 1/4 wave of a full wave of 27.125 mhz.
The whip is 102 inches and ad the mount stud and you’re at approx 103.5 inches.
The SWR standing wave ratio meter takes
The 27.125 mhz power out from the cb down the coax to the 1/4 wave antenna and it should resonate if there is any issue reverse power comes back to the radio and knocks down the efficiency which is bad.
If you coil up the antenna to make it shorter
It brings in more issues of capicitance and resistance and makes the swr a bit more challenging to tune and bring down your antenna performance.

I’d recommend buying a used AM SSB cb
Radio and making an antenna and see if you like the hobby before really investing
Money into it. You may live in A Busy city like me and have tons of local people if you live way out there there will be less. You
Also have to deal with skip which is reflected signals off the atmosphere which some love those long distance comms and dreaded by the locals.
Been doing it since the 1970s you will love it or lose interest fast it will be up to you for the challenge.
Pete N1EXA

Sheriff45

Use of a quarter-wave whip for house (102” SS). Can be used on vehicle. A basic good antenna to always have.

View attachment 150546

View attachment 150547

1). Entry-level today is an NRC-equipped radio (tremendous noise reduction around vocals).

This is the path I’d recommend based on post. (More details apply). Learning what’s possible on-air shouldn’t be compromised.

Your budget needs to reflect what’s necessary. So this thread is terms and names for you to read around.

WELCOME!

Thank you slowmover; Happy to be here.
I will need to spend some time looking over what you said, but greatly appreciated it!
I can not currently describe vehicle, as the vehicle it would go in I have not bought. Hopefully going to be a old OBS 250 7.3 but could be a car all the same, whatever comes along.
Yes, from what I have seen I understand that it's not just CB that's important, but entire set up to work well. So I don't want to waste going cheap; but I also don't need a fancy top of the line setup.
So what all your saying makes total sense; but going back to the idea of the Cobras would you not recommend one of those as a 'starter' say?

View attachment 150546

View attachment 150547

WELCOME!

Thanks!!
This may help you to understand why 102 inches for a cb antenna.
Take 234 / frequency ch14 - 27.125 x12 gives you 103.5 inches which is 1/4 wave of a full wave of 27.125 mhz.
The whip is 102 inches and ad the mount stud and you’re at approx 103.5 inches.
The SWR standing wave ratio meter takes
The 27.125 mhz power out from the cb down the coax to the 1/4 wave antenna and it should resonate if there is any issue reverse power comes back to the radio and knocks down the efficiency which is bad.
If you coil up the antenna to make it shorter
It brings in more issues of capicitance and resistance and makes the swr a bit more challenging to tune and bring down your antenna performance.

I’d recommend buying a used AM SSB cb
Radio and making an antenna and see if you like the hobby before really investing
Money into it. You may live in A Busy city like me and have tons of local people if you live way out there there will be less. You
Also have to deal with skip which is reflected signals off the atmosphere which some love those long distance comms and dreaded by the locals.
Been doing it since the 1970s you will love it or lose interest fast it will be up to you for the challenge.
Pete N1EXA
Pete, ( N1EXA ) Thank you also, yes the more in-depth you guys can get the easier for me to understand. :)
So I hear what you are saying for that.
With your comment, I want to add some more info, in kind of a response/info:

So, .... I live in not dense city, but neither open country. My plans are to get into the trucking industry as career hopefully, but if not that I will be and or Farming. So, I am planning to pick up CDL along the way at some point, as either case it will be very useful; And if I'm only farm only, I still think if I find something decent like a Cobra 29 to work decent, I might install them in a few off the machines to. So I figure it doesn't hurt to start learning the hobby know. Well in a normal vehicle isn't as necessary as a Rig; it would still be fun to play with and useful. ( I will mention again, like OP, that I love sleds and if $$ permits, might get into that more and travelling winters with a CB setups would probably be a good idea!!

So in-conclusion. - I want to find a good CB that works and leaves a good taste without jumping in over my head. So any advice welcome, but I think the 2 main points are
• what Radio/CB (Cobra? Unided?)
• Can I easily do a temporary setup at house well I wait to install in the vehicle.

THANK YOU SO MUCH BOTH
slowmover and Pete ( N1EXA )
If you guys or any one else has anything else, please add; But Thank you, hope you both/(All) have a good day.

Sheriff45

So the antenna question was On some Rigs, they have 2 antennas right? And I understand how that works, but in my mind I was thinking 2 doesn't give more height; it just gives more antenna.
So is more antenna/less height better or less antenna/more height.?
I know it's ladder of 2? But entertain me, lol.

So really, say I want to but one on a OBS truck. A small antenna on roof better, or larger antenna somewhere else in the truck?
I guess.
Actually, probably just ignore this, wasn't really thinking well I was saying this...
S45

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
So the antenna question was On some Rigs, they have 2 antennas right? And I understand how that works, but in my mind I was thinking 2 doesn't give more height; it just gives more antenna.
So is more antenna/less height better or less antenna/more height.?
I know it's ladder of 2? But entertain me, lol.

So really, say I want to but one on a OBS truck. A small antenna on roof better, or larger antenna somewhere else in the truck?
I guess.
Actually, probably just ignore this, wasn't really thinking well I was saying this...
S45
The double antennas on semi trucks are in phase using a special splitting coax at 1/4 wave legnth on each side feeding coiled 1/4 wave antennas. Yea there still electrically 102 inches but some is in a coil
The 2 antennas cause a radiation pattern that sends more signal forwards and backwards than off to the sides for high way talking . Performing better on a truck application than 1 antenna.

You will see this done with am broadcast stations with 2 or more towers. They do this to direct the signal for the broadcast market.

Pete N1EXA

Sheriff45

The double antennas on semi trucks are in phase using a special splitting coax at 1/4 wave legnth on each side feeding coiled 1/4 wave antennas. Yea there still electrically 102 inches but some is in a coil
The 2 antennas cause a radiation pattern that sends more signal forwards and backwards than off to the sides for high way talking . Performing better on a truck application than 1 antenna.

You will see this done with am broadcast stations with 2 or more towers. They do this to direct the signal for the broadcast market.

Pete N1EXA
Makes sense.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What sort of distance are you hoping to reach? The antenna will have a lot to do with that, and is the part to worry about. A so-so radio connected to a good antenna will out perform a great radio hooked up to a crap antenna.

The radios you mentioned are decent, with a long history of service. There are some new models out, or soon to be out, that will give a better performance.

Spend some time reading the threads about antenna installation, to get an idea of the requirements to have the system work affectively.

sloop

Sheriff45..my two basic rules for any radio installation:
1. Spend at least as much if not more on your antenna system as you do your radio! The heart of any communications system is the antenna, DON'T scrimp on the antenna!!!
2. Now for the can of worms....the best, most stable CB radio (in my opinion) is the President's line. Some will tell you to get a HAM radio (10 meter) and convert it to CB (11 meter) because they are better radios (meaning more power). That decision is entirely up to you, but the only legal way is to get a FCC certified CB radio (regardless of brand).
Whatever you choose to do, enjoy the hobby!

Sheriff45

What sort of distance are you hoping to reach? The antenna will have a lot to do with that, and is the part to worry about. A so-so radio connected to a good antenna will out perform a great radio hooked up to a crap antenna.

The radios you mentioned are decent, with a long history of service. There are some new models out, or soon to be out, that will give a better performance.

Spend some time reading the threads about antenna installation, to get an idea of the requirements to have the system work affectively.
Honestly, no specific distance, the farther the better, but it's not cell phones or whatever, it's really just a walkie talkie; and I am not concerned then reaching more than normal; I just don't want to be under reaching. Again, I am not looking to spend too much, $$ on this currently, but I understand I need to be willing to pay the price for it. So what's standard range, as long as I can get about that, then that works for me.
Sounds like a good plan, I will start reading them as I have time. Thanks!!!
S45

Sheriff45

Sheriff45..my two basic rules for any radio installation:
1. Spend at least as much if not more on your antenna system as you do your radio! The heart of any communications system is the antenna, DON'T scrimp on the antenna!!!
2. Now for the can of worms....the best, most stable CB radio (in my opinion) is the President's line. Some will tell you to get a HAM radio (10 meter) and convert it to CB (11 meter) because they are better radios (meaning more power). That decision is entirely up to you, but the only legal way is to get a FCC certified CB radio (regardless of brand).
Whatever you choose to do, enjoy the hobby!
That's what I keep seeing/hearing so I really do plan to follow that wisdom. Know does it make sense to at least figure out what radio, then the antenna/ or vice versa?
I will have to check out the presidents line.
For know, I want to keep it simple.
Thank you sloop, me to.

So my current plan is a Cobra or something similar, ( maybe a president ) and a decent antenna ( so need to figure out what ) , is there a specific order of what first? And where to buy from/not?

BushDoctor

Hi everyone, as you can tell I am brand new to this forum; please feel free to give me any in-sight. I come with one (snowmobile) forum experience.

Anyways, I have about 2 questions.
First: I have never owned a CB radio, and know very little; but I am looking into getting one. I am not a trucker/rig driver (whatever you call yourselves) but I might be some day considering it but will see that's future. Either way, I am looking to get a decent CB radio, to start learning with, 'fun', and communication of course. I would be putting this in a more normal vehicle, possibly a LITTLE truck or car; and trying to figure out what would be best.
From my little research, I am looking at the different Cobra CB's, but tell me if any where on this post I am heading in the wrong direction.
So I am looking at the Cobra:
• Cobra 25 LTD
• Cobra 29 LTD
• & Cobra 29 LTD NW
I want a good, solid usable radio. But I feel no need to spend more $$ then necessary. So that like 100-200ish for full setup is what I'm trying to keep it down to. From what I have seen the cobras are pretty decent ( starters at-least )
Not being very smart; what difference does it make that the 25 LTD doesn't have AM/FM like the other 2?
I believe that is all right know off the top of my head.

Actually, lucky you guys; today you get to meet my personality. A bonus question, Lol: So pretty sure this is dumb question, but when you are looking at the antennas, ( which I know are just as important as the rest ) what matters is height right? Like if I have a 3 foot antenna on top of a car, = let's say 10 feet high; a 6 foot antenna on the back bumper of the truck = lets say 9 feet is im theory worse then the 10 foot correct?
Another words, height vs antenna/exposed or how much antenna.
Bottom line, height is the kind factor here?

Alright,

2 question.
So let's just assume for a minute that I have a CB, and I have bought a Cobra or whatever CB you want, but it will know be month or 2 till I install it because of vehicle situation, ( say a sale or such )
Is it possible to set it up in the house or something; i understand I would have to connect it to 1 of the vehicle batteries I have laying around, correct? Antenna?
Would I be able to play/duct tape a temporary setup well I wait?

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ANYONE TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS!!!!
Wether you answer or not.
Do not let me waste your time, if I'm an idiot; just ignore,but if you can provide any help to a rookie, greatly appreciated.

I'm God we trust, may he bless you friends, good day and stay safe out there.
Go to a motorola shop and see if they have a TAB 1011C antenna mount and a 96 inch whip that will total 103.3 inches with the spring. Mine on my car is about 20 years old and i have a brand new one ready if it ever fails. they might have a loading coil in stock also if u need it a little shorter then it will be 89 inches but although i have an old loading coil off my truck i dont use it on my car. I dont want to sell my new antenna as it is still in the box in case I ever need it. I was a motorola tech servicing accounts for police and fire and fed govt and military bases plus some commercial accounts. I am also a ham wb4igu and have about 15 motorola police and fire department radios i give away free since motorola doesnt take trades anymore. I probably have given away over 100 radios mostly to hams they use them for 6 meters and 2 meters but in later years they prefer to buy new ham equipment. I am 85 now and getting rid of junk for free. Motorola called me to see if i wanted to return to work when i was 75 but my wife said no way. I live in Strasburg VA so anyone wanting motorola radios come and get all u want free.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, no specific distance, the farther the better, but it's not cell phones or whatever, it's really just a walkie talkie; and I am not concerned then reaching more than normal; I just don't want to be under reaching. Again, I am not looking to spend too much, $$ on this currently, but I understand I need to be willing to pay the price for it. So what's standard range, as long as I can get about that, then that works for me.
Sounds like a good plan, I will start reading them as I have time. Thanks!!!
S45
The "normal" distance doesn't exist. That was why I asked about desired distances. Each frequency range has benefits and limitations. Each type of antenna installation has an affect on the range of that radio, especially on mobiles.

HPTQRPM

Hopefully going to be a old OBS 250 7.3 but could be a car all the same, whatever comes along.
The 7.3 Powerstroke injectors make a LOT of RF electrical noise. See this link for what one (expert) guy did. He has a 6.0, which runs at 48V. The 7.3 runs at 110V!

(I have 2 OBS & 3 SD's)

Sheriff45

The 7.3 Powerstroke injectors make a LOT of RF electrical noise. See this link for what one (expert) guy did. He has a 6.0, which runs at 48V. The 7.3 runs at 110V!

(I have 2 OBS & 3 SD's)
Hmm, Thanks HPTQROM!
Very helpful.

Unfortunately I have been very very busy as of late; and hadn't been able to look round here/online about this much of late.
But with the break, and shopping season '🙄' I did take another look at things this week. (Especially after sitting for 40-ish minutes due to a semi fire. :( ) Thanksgiving travel time.....
HOPE everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
So at this point, I feel to much pressure from work to actually do any buying/installing, ECT currently. I'm
*(hoping maybe round the Christmas/New year break)
But for know, actual happenings are in stand by; but anything I can learn in the mean time would be great,
Thank you all so much!

-Sheriff45=God is good! :)

slowmover

Half-assed won’t avoid entanglement from a mile or two out as these pile-ups develop.

IMG_3639.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

Pete N1EXA

Versus a circular radius with single antenna, trying to work with that 13’T trailer we’re dragging behind us.

IMG_3969.jpeg

The other part is in not losing signal capture due to our moving away (angle) from the other mobile operator.

A single antenna on the drivers side is easier to set up, maybe “better” performance . . . but it’s all a loss when that truck turns away.

The men pulling flatbeds & drop decks don’t suffer this as much. Some tankers. But a van? Yeah, no question.

Seen on a pickup truck cophase is ridiculous. (Roof center permanent kicks tail).

Pickups can drag fairly heavy loads these days, but not endure significant wind loads. So it’s an exceedingly-rare trailered load interferes with the TX pattern (heighth & width).

And the ideal separation is 9’ (impossible to achieve), so it’s wasted effort.

Mobile Install Bible

Last edited:

slowmover

To add to what others have written above:

Highway “high-performance” would be a SIRIO 5000 on a Breedlove mount.

IMG_1394.jpeg

That’d eat up your $200 budget before anything else.

The compromise radio (non-SSB) would be the $100 ANYTONE Graces

• 1-5 Levels of RX and TX Audio Noise Reduction
This is NRC (Digital Signal Processing) which none of those Cobras have. Very bad idea to purchase any CB without such.

IMG_4201.jpeg

The 90% antenna solution is an NMO-30 or -34 with a WD640 whip (not the NMO27). Yes, antenna tuning will be involved.

Height is Might. Signal capture separates men from boys.

NMO Is low key (can be removed & capped) and install is detailed well in that forum (Mr McKenna).

IMG_4059.jpeg

NMO plus Graces will go past $200 once miscellaneous added in, but not terribly.

This will be better than 85% of mobile rigs in both receive & transmit as it = roof-center permanent mount & integrated-NRC radio.

— Less than this forms too much compromise at either end of the coax.

Your budget is a starting point. $100, alone, would be disappointing (yet it’s considered typical by the 99%), and the future addition of a Q5/QT60 radio to a $200 starter would cap off what’s realistic in mobile CB (as you’ve the foundation for these future improvements given NMO start).

One wants to avoid the awesome dangers on-road he needs great ears to catch the earliest possible heads-up (five miles out) if he expects to stay clear.

— So budget an external speaker as next addition. AM/SSB radio still later.

At this point (budget) the money must go towards AM-only RX.

Last edited:

Sheriff45

Thank you for checking back in Krokus; I've been meaning to come back and read through everything here......(Blah-blah) Short answer is no, unfortunately not yet.

I had decided from all the advice to not make any stupid choices and try and jump halfway into the boat and wait till I am fully ready. I also decided to wait for getting untill I am ready for it directly to go into vehicle.
Unfortunately as life goes, and the 'curve-balls' are throw the vehicle situation hasn't been working.
So currently my excuse is I'm sitting in the vehicle end; waiting for a vehicle before stepping any farther. As I am being picky here and not in a desperate currently I am probably stuck in this stage longer than I would like to be...... (Partly in fact that I just don't want to see those charges($$$$) ).

However I am still going to follow through with this someday; I just don't know how long it will be. I will update when things finally change or as I need more help as I start the process again one day......

I still would love & appreciate any information on guys can provide!!!!
You guys are awesome,
Thank you for tagging along with me and I'm sorry this is such a slow process.
Thank you Krokus and everyone here who has assisted this Novice!

-Sheriff45=God is good!