Distance between loop & YAGI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I want to mount an 800MHz YAGI under a HF loop antenna. Both antennas are receive only. The loop is 36" in diameter, the YAGI is 48" long, mounted from one end. Roughly how much space needs to between the two antennas?

Thanks

prcguy

At 800MHz, 6" is a half wavelength, so that's probably a good minimum to start with. That would be with the boom of the 800MHz Yagi 6" below the loop. If you go further apart I would stick with half wave increments like 12", etc. The loop won't know the little Yagi is even there.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
At 800MHz, 6" is a half wavelength, so that's probably a good minimum to start with. That would be with the boom of the 800MHz Yagi 6" below the loop. If you go further apart I would stick with half wave increments like 12", etc. The loop won't know the little Yagi is even there.

Perfect, thanks! (y)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Many loop installations are only a few feet off the ground, so if you mount the Yagi up high, and the loop say 6 or 8 foot off the ground on a separate mast you will be fine - absolutely no chance of interaction at all....Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Many loop installations are only a few feet off the ground, so if you mount the Yagi up high, and the loop say 6 or 8 foot off the ground on a separate mast you will be fine - absolutely no chance of interaction at all....Mike

For now until this weather clears up in S.E. Michigan, they're all hanging on a 9' tall photographic light stand in my office. :cool:

nanZor

I'd test for overall interaction with the yagi - which means the coax run leading to it.

Rotate the loop to put a noise or other signal source into a null. Disconnect the cable from the radio running to the yagi and see if the loop needs to be tweaked.

If it needs to be tweaked, then you may have some cable interaction to the yagi going on and that run to the yagi may need to be choked for hf interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.