Distorted audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymich02

When I'm broadcasting, if I turn my scanner up more than half way the audio gets distorted over the computer and Blackberry. I notice that other broadcast are loud and clear. Is there a way to make my audio louder?

FYI... My computer is less than 2 yrs old and my scanner is a Realistic pro-2006

Thanks,
Andy

Deziel0495

Formerly ScanPEI
Database Admin
When I'm broadcasting, if I turn my scanner up more than half way the audio gets distorted over the computer and Blackberry. I notice that other broadcast are loud and clear. Is there a way to make my audio louder?

FYI... My computer is less than 2 yrs old and my scanner is a Realistic pro-2006

Thanks,
Andy
Have your scanner volume and your computer's recording volume both set at about half way. This is what I have mine set to and its loud and clear. Just play around with both volumes until you get one that suits you. Good luck! :)

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
What you want to do most likely if you are getting distortion is to turn up the line/mic level on the computer and not turn up the scanner itself.

I start with the scanner at a loud and clear level on its own and then set the mic/line level so that it's not gained up much at all and get a louder/cleaner signal as a result.

Two basic symptoms..

lots of line hiss, generally means the input from the scanner itself is a bit too low and the sound card is being gained up too high to 'pull' it in.

distorted audio. Generally the scanner is too hot going in and is overloading the line/mic input on the soundcard.

Having the input from the scanner a bit on the hotter side and minimizing the amount of gain needed at the soundcard will give the cleanest signal generally. But you have to experiment depending on the scanner and sound device being used. There are limits to levels on 'both sides' of the signal path.

Status
Not open for further replies.