DIY Network Radio

Spider255

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2024
Messages
205
Reaction score
184
I've been planing on getting some network radios but the one thing that puts me off is the fact they run an older Android OS and at some point support and updates/OS upgrades will no longer be supported rendering the device useless, so I have an idea of building my own from an Android phone, a box and a radio mic.

There is just one hurdle... getting the mic to work with the Android phone which will require modification but I also want to have an audio amp...

Here is a plan I drew up to get a better idea of what I want to build...

Zello Radio.png
 

lamarrsy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
247
Reaction score
220
Location
Rimouski, PQ, Canada
I've been planing on getting some network radios but the one thing that puts me off is the fact they run an older Android OS and at some point support and updates/OS upgrades will no longer be supported rendering the device useless, so I have an idea of building my own from an Android phone, a box and a radio mic.

There is just one hurdle... getting the mic to work with the Android phone which will require modification but I also want to have an audio amp...

Here is a plan I drew up to get a better idea of what I want to build...

View attachment 195731
They don’t *all* run older Android versions… just to name one, take a look at the Uniwa F400 : it runs Android 15 (!)
 

RFI-EMI-GUY

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2013
Messages
8,563
Reaction score
6,003
I would like to see one based on a mobile 4G router that has a VOIP interface. Wire up an SVR200U vehicular repeater and use my handheld in vicinity. Has anyone done this?
 

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Joined
Sep 27, 2019
Messages
729
Reaction score
907
Location
Deep Down
I would like to see one based on a mobile 4G router that has a VOIP interface. Wire up an SVR200U vehicular repeater and use my handheld in vicinity. Has anyone done this?
I did something similar with a Starlink terminal and a Lenovo micro PC.
 

RFI-EMI-GUY

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2013
Messages
8,563
Reaction score
6,003
I did something similar with a Starlink terminal and a Lenovo micro PC.
What protocol did you use? SIP, RoIP, ?? Mine is not an "Enterprise" requirement. Just 2 or 3 mobiles back to perhaps an IP phone , ATA or even a PC or Android APP at home. I think Zello is out, Zed is Dead..
 

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Joined
Sep 27, 2019
Messages
729
Reaction score
907
Location
Deep Down
What protocol did you use? SIP, RoIP, ?? Mine is not an "Enterprise" requirement. Just 2 or 3 mobiles back to perhaps an IP phone , ATA or even a PC or Android APP at home. I think Zello is out, Zed is Dead..
It used Mumble and was a hacked-together thing that didn't see real usage beyond testing. One of the Icom, Telex, or JPS RoIP gateway products is probably the best way to accomplish it. The Icom stuff is designed to play nicely with IP phones.
 
Top