Status
Not open for further replies.

CFD288

Hello all...trying to monitor this utility in my SDS 100:

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
451.02500 KIG250 RM CC 3
TG 208
SL 1 UTILITIES 1 Cleveland Utilities DMR Utilities

I purchased my DMR key and installed it today with no problems though the radio took close to 2 minutes to verify and accept the key. I also updated with the latest Sentinel and firmware updates released today (June 29) . Imported utility via Sentinel and so far have not heard any traffic on it. I know the traffic load is not going to be the same as a police or EMS agency but thought I would have heard something by now.

I have looked around in Sentinel and do not see any way to add further info to the imported information. The color code does display on scanner when I hold on this frequency. Is there any other data to enter or further steps needed to receive this utility? I am located in the same city so distance should not be a problem.

Thanks, Scott

Ubbe

Only enter restrictions like time slot and color code if there are other DMR transmitters on the same frequency or if other users have the exact same TG number on the other timeslot. The information you have could be wrong as the system administrators might have changed some parameters.

Always start a new monitoring with everything "open" and TG search enabled to see that there really are activity on the frequency and what TGs are being used. Then gradually avoid TGs you do not want to monitor.

You do have the DMR or CAP text in the display and a signal strenght that indicates that you actually are receiving the system?

/Ubbe

CFD288

Thanks for the suggestions ubbe. Haven't had time to fire up Sentinel today but think the digital mode is set to Auto in it. I do have utilities checked in my profile as well. When I hold on this system I am not seeing DMR or CAP or a signal strength on the display which leads me to think I'm not receiving this system. Pretty sure this utility is the only one on this frequency.

Scott

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Thanks for the suggestions ubbe. Haven't had time to fire up Sentinel today but think the digital mode is set to Auto in it. I do have utilities checked in my profile as well. When I hold on this system I am not seeing DMR or CAP or a signal strength on the display which leads me to think I'm not receiving this system. Pretty sure this utility is the only one on this frequency.

Scott

I have found that utility monitoring is rather hit or miss, only because there isn't a lot of traffic on their frequencies most of the time (at least in my neck of the woods).

If it were me, I'd wait for a weekday next week (Weekends are REALLY slow most of the time barring some weather disaster) and either throw the frequency in a conventional system and hold on it or just hold on the frequency with a quick search and see if you hear anything at all. It might be that they just haven't used the frequency enough for you to catch it yet.

Ubbe

Most, if not all, DMR transmitters will periodicly send out a data burst for a couple of seconds that should be easy to hear in analog conventional mode.

I also beleive that all radio systems in USA are legally obliged to periodicly send out it's FCC id in morse code. If you hear nothing on that frequency after sitting on it for 30 minutes in analog mode it must be outside of your current reach or the frequency isn't in use.

/Ubbe

mule1075

Feed Provider
I also beleive that all radio systems in USA are legally obliged to periodicly send out it's FCC id in morse code. If you hear nothing on that frequency after sitting on it for 30 minutes in analog mode it must be outside of your current reach or the frequency isn't in use.

/Ubbe

Does not happen anymore in my area or areas I travel thru. So really not a good gauge to tell if a frequency is in use or not.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Most, if not all, DMR transmitters will periodicly send out a data burst for a couple of seconds that should be easy to hear in analog conventional mode.

/Ubbe

P25 and other digital systems do not do Morse code. That's only analog systems.

CFD288

W4ELL: yes I agree unless there is storm damage utility freqs are usually quiet on the weekends but thought I might hear a bit of late payment-reconnect traffic.

I did make this change in Sentinel: unticked the DMR color code 3 option in favorite list editing and changed it to digital signal search (don't remember if this the correct label) just in case there has been some change in the utility's radio parameters. I have 3 other scanners and feel comfortable working with the P25 stuff but this DMR is a different animal and still feel as if I'm missing something....

Scott

N8DLA

I did make this change in Sentinel: unticked the DMR color code 3 option in favorite list editing and changed it to digital signal search (don't remember if this the correct label) just in case there has been some change in the utility's radio parameters. I have 3 other scanners and feel comfortable working with the P25 stuff but this DMR is a different animal and still feel as if I'm missing something....

Scott

So, a dumb question I've not found an answer to yet-
Does that essentially make the SDS100 able to search DMR in a promiscuous mode? I want to simply scan a band and have it lock onto any active DMR transmission and display all pertinent info automatically.
I've not had luck doing that with my 325P2, though I don't think it has that capability anyway.

W2SJW

Database Admin
So, a dumb question I've not found an answer to yet-
Does that essentially make the SDS100 able to search DMR in a promiscuous mode? I want to simply scan a band and have it lock onto any active DMR transmission and display all pertinent info automatically.
I've not had luck doing that with my 325P2, though I don't think it has that capability anyway.
Yes it does.

I stop my SDS on whatever it's scanning by using the 'Channel Hold' button, then enter the frequency I want to start at followed by the same hold button again. This puts the unit in 'quick search' mode.

I've found numerous new sites for DMR and NXDN trunk systems in NE PA this way (site & system ID, color codes/RAN codes, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.