DMR in Sandhills Region

sttylr

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
First time poster casual listener getting more involved since I picked up an SDS200 for my Birthday a few months. In purchasing my radio Uniden recommended no codec upgrades however, I heard a conversation recently on the N1RIK repeater that's closest to me McCain that DMR is being used by the local HAMs. Is this true? Is there any other modes I should potentially look at that Uniden didn't mention? I saw in the database that the school district uses DMR but I'm not interested in listening to them but surely if there is HAM traffic I'm interested. Can anyone clarify? If so what's the frequencies as mentioned I can hear the McCain N1RIK site and the UNCTV site as well I'm located in Hoke County. Thanks,

sttylr

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, RaleighGuy in your opinion is it worth the I think $60 that Uniden charges for the codec?

Toad_77

Hi All,
First time poster casual listener getting more involved since I picked up an SDS200 for my Birthday a few months. In purchasing my radio Uniden recommended no codec upgrades however, I heard a conversation recently on the N1RIK repeater that's closest to me McCain that DMR is being used by the local HAMs. Is this true? Is there any other modes I should potentially look at that Uniden didn't mention? I saw in the database that the school district uses DMR but I'm not interested in listening to them but surely if there is HAM traffic I'm interested. Can anyone clarify? If so what's the frequencies as mentioned I can hear the McCain N1RIK site and the UNCTV site as well I'm located in Hoke County. Thanks,
Hello neighbor, I'm also in Hoke. As far as public safety/local gov use of DMR goes the Cape Fear Hoke Hospital and the school busses are all that I know of. I monitor the hospital from time to time as I'm pretty close to it, it is usually some very dull listening. I am a ham and do DMR on there but it's usually hotspot based, I rarely listen to NCPRN.

sttylr

Premium Subscriber
Thanks @Toad_77 I think I'll pull out my SDRPlay RSPDuo and give it a looksee before committing. I'm supposing the hospital is (mostly) the same kind of chatter more or less that comes from the POCSAG frequency out of SC on 158.700 just in voice rather than text. I'm in the Medical IT field so I'm not interested in the PHI / HIPAA leakages that the hospitals appear to be oblivious or don't care about.