• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR Interference on GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

I smile when people think the FCC will help. They do not have the manpower or money to go after the many cases of similar problems. Contacting them is a waste of time.

Agreed--although what other viable options exist? There were times when I've asked people in the ham community to relay emergency information and--at least in my situations--they didn't want to be bothered, either.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Around here, the FCC’s prime concern is looking for the numerous illegal Haitian FM broadcast radio stations.

That is entirely true. The FCC is protecting the commercial broadcasters revenue. The last time I looked at the enforcement bureau website (I was pissed at the many spoofed robocalls I was getting and still get) there was a map of all the pirate stations busted by the FCC EB. I tried to lodge a spoofed robocall (lack of enforcement) complaint to the head of the EB directly. Guess what, she screens her calls!

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Agreed--although what other viable options exist? There were times when I've asked people in the ham community to relay emergency information and--at least in my situations--they didn't want to be bothered, either.

Most (not all) of the time, the problem is receiver overload or a combination of factors that is not just one stations cause. But to get to the heart of the matter, someone needs to look at the spectrum in the area with a spectrum analyzer (or a good SDR) and see what is happening. That is simple to do with the right equipment and experience. It does not take the FCC to do that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, isn‘t tracking down interference their (FCC) job?

They don't really have the staff for it. And it can be very time consuming to do.

I had to chase down interference on one of our repeater inputs. Took quite a bit of time to do it. Lots of driving and taking bearings. Then narrowing it down, more driving, more bearings. Then lucky guess or two.

After all that, I was able to resolve the issue with the interfering system by talking with the owner like adults. Not throwing a fit, not threatening to call the FCC or law enforcement. Just explain the situation, show them the evidence, and help them fix it. Much easier that way. If I'd had to hand it off to the FCC, it's much easier if you can hand them all the details and proof. You'd be more likely to get their time to resolve it.

If the system owner starts to act like a jerk, well, then you did all you could and you hand the neatly wrapped package to the FCC and let them take over.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
They don't really have the staff for it. And it can be very time consuming to do.

I had to chase down interference on one of our repeater inputs. Took quite a bit of time to do it. Lots of driving and taking bearings. Then narrowing it down, more driving, more bearings. Then lucky guess or two.

After all that, I was able to resolve the issue with the interfering system by talking with the owner like adults. Not throwing a fit, not threatening to call the FCC or law enforcement. Just explain the situation, show them the evidence, and help them fix it. Much easier that way. If I'd had to hand it off to the FCC, it's much easier if you can hand them all the details and proof. You'd be more likely to get their time to resolve it.

If the system owner starts to act like a jerk, well, then you did all you could and you hand the neatly wrapped package to the FCC and let them take over.

I work a lot of interference issues ( a whole lot). Like you I've never had to involve the FCC. I've had law enforcement backup numerous times, but that was just for my safety and the fact that they were interfering with a PS system. I always tell the people I can't make them shut down whatever the source is, but if they don't and the FCC gets involved it can be huge fines (I "think" they technically aren't fines, but whatever).

gman1971

Most of my FM only radios won't even open up to DMR traffic, the signal LED might blink intermittently sometimes, but if the DMR traffic is far away, it won't even acknowledge there is a signal there... and especially true when using single slot (not Simplex double slot)

In my experience there are other things that can "machine gun" RF noises, IMD being one of the biggest culprits, especially in POS CCR superhet radios... superhets without front end filtering will hear other strong channels all over the band, and especially the very strong ones which their IM frequencies fall on your currently tuned frequency...

G.

Status
Not open for further replies.