• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Noise Interference on Repeater…

prcguy

I’ve think I found something that looks like it’ll work good…idk (take a look at attached) Says Motorola brand. Is this similar to the 1500 you were talking about..?
That looks like a 1500 and pass/notch and can work fine for what you are doing. What's the price? I think if in good serviceable condition its worth up to maybe $200 but $150 would be a good price.

Edit: I saw the ad and they want $549. Someone is smoking crack on that one.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I just looked around on eBay and all UHF duplexers are ridiculous prices, many times what they are worth. Find a ham swap meet in your area and prices should be much more reasonable.
Since the GMRS boom, that’s the going price for set of pass reject cans on UHF. Even the chinesium flat packs went up about 100 bucks.

It doesn’t help that new unit pricing is up as well with 2-3 month lead time. ( ya know, Covid)

drake1792

Feed Provider
I’m not sure how to upload an audio file or video but the repeater started up at it again but now with a way different sound..

drake1792

Feed Provider
Thanks everyone for all the info. The issue went away after I disconnected my scanner antenna from the scanner. I’ve tested this multiple times and I’m pretty sure that’s the culprit. The antennas are all mounted on the same mast so I will have to spread them out more. I have the scanner unhooked from the external antenna now and the issue have been resolved. Just have to move the antennas around and hopefully when I plug it back in the issue won’t come back. Thanks again to everyone! Lots of knowledge gained!!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
And it's IMD for the win! Hope you're OK for now and you still have some hair left on your head. Good luck.

Last edited:

drake1792

Feed Provider
And it's IMD for the win! Hope you're OK for now and you still have some hair left on your head. Good luck.
The scanner was actually the first thing I unplugged. The noise went away, checked it a couple more times just to be sure and I got lucky. Gonna get a new duplexer, and hopefully get it up on its new site soon! Thanks for the help!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Good deal. Yea, flat packs are pretty whimpy and running them at 50 watts is kinda scary. The comments to turn the repeater down to 25 watts is well taken, however, a MTR 2000 doesn't like to go that low and the transmitter can possibly go sour on you at that level. Invest in a good duplexer, have it tuned properly, and crank that MTR back up to 75 to 100 watts. You'll have a barnburner of a GMRS repeater.

drake1792

Feed Provider
Good deal. Yea, flat packs are pretty whimpy and running them at 50 watts is kinda scary. The comments to turn the repeater down to 25 watts is well taken, however, a MTR 2000 doesn't like to go that low and the transmitter can possibly go sour on you at that level. Invest in a good duplexer, have it tuned properly, and crank that MTR back up to 75 to 100 watts. You'll have a barnburner of a GMRS repeater.
That’s the plan! Looking at a Decibel DB4076W-A and plan to run about 65-85watts through it to get a true 50watts out to the antenna.

prcguy

That’s the plan! Looking at a Decibel DB4076W-A and plan to run about 65-85watts through it to get a true 50watts out to the antenna.
If the duplexer has 1.2dB loss then 67 watts in will give you 50 watts out. However, I believe if the FCC visits your repeater they will be looking for 50 watts max out of the transmitter port before any other components.

RFI-EMI-GUY

If the duplexer has 1.2dB loss then 67 watts in will give you 50 watts out. However, I believe if the FCC visits your repeater they will be looking for 50 watts max out of the transmitter port before any other components.
I have always wondered what exactly they would consider to be the transmitter. Suppose I have an MSF5000 with internal duplexer, triple circulators etc. All packaged by Motorola. I could have 50 watts coming out of the side of the thing and the PA is cranking 105 + watts. Would I push the limit? You betcha..

rescuecomm

Not interfering with anyone, then the FEDS may not care. Me and some guys put a GMRS repeater on the air in 1987, only to have somebody in the next county over put a construction company on the same pair months later. Our 25 watt Uniden did 18 through the duplexer and had a good site, but the other guys covered us up almost anywhere. Probably running 50 watts out of the duplexer. Only the GMRS rules rewrite got rid of them.

prcguy

I have always wondered what exactly they would consider to be the transmitter. Suppose I have an MSF5000 with internal duplexer, triple circulators etc. All packaged by Motorola. I could have 50 watts coming out of the side of the thing and the PA is cranking 105 + watts. Would I push the limit? You betcha..
It is the transmitter and before any isolators, filters or duplexer. If you have a four channel hybrid combiner for GMRS then it will be 50 legal watts out of each transmitter and you get about 10 watts per transmitter out of the combiner. Not that I would adhere to that.