DMR plus brandmeister

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

How do you use these types of systems? Specific repeater I'm trying to use is the KK4TD system in Cookeville TN. So basically I've got my radio set up for a channel for each slot. I keyed up on local tg (99 I think) and the digi icon turned blue and the rx light came on for a second as would happen on an analog repeater. Threw my call out but no one answered. Then I tried the parrot tg and again, nothing back. Then I see online something about connecting to the reflector then the tg and my brain scrambled like eggs from there. Any points I need to know on how to actually get on to talk to someone? I really would love to get this going.
Thanks

JASII

Memory Capacity
How do you use these types of systems? Specific repeater I'm trying to use is the KK4TD system in Cookeville TN. So basically I've got my radio set up for a channel for each slot. I keyed up on local tg (99 I think) and the digi icon turned blue and the rx light came on for a second as would happen on an analog repeater. Threw my call out but no one answered. Then I tried the parrot tg and again, nothing back. Then I see online something about connecting to the reflector then the tg and my brain scrambled like eggs from there. Any points I need to know on how to actually get on to talk to someone? I really would love to get this going.
Thanks

I would suggest that you seek out the correct information for that system. Some repeaters have some talkgroups set up so talkgroups can be active full time or may be Part Time Talkgroups (PTT or Push-to-Talk). You will never hear traffic on PTT talkgroups unless you kerchunk that talkgroup. A kerchunk or ongoing conversation will activate and/or renew a timer, generally for 15 minutes of listening time from the last local user's transmission (check Netwatch). So if you are looking for activity, especially from outside our region, you may need to hit the pickle to hear more activity.

It is the opposite of what you might expect. Kerchunking is rude, right? Well, you might need to kerchunk, wait a few seconds and then transmit your callsign.

frenchfry

Local talk group is 9, 99 is for simplex. The brandmeister standard is for talk group 9 to be on time slot 2.

Also Check that your brandmeister ID number is set in your radio.

The repeater site information is at the link below. Check your talk groups and the time slots that are set up on the repeater and are listed on the left side of the web page under Slot details. Tennessee state wide is a good one to get a call back from.

bharvey2

Have you ever written a codeplug for a DMR radio? There's a bit more to them that there is for an analog repeater. You'll need to know such things as Color Code, Talkgroups and Timeslots as well as the usual input/output frequencies. After that, it's sort of a "wash, rinse and repeat". Not insurmountable, but it is a bit different.

bill4long

Thanks

There appears to be contradictory and/or confusing information on their web site. What radio make/model are you trying to program? They have pre-written codeplugs for some popular radios. (Scroll down to DMR Code Plugs.)

P.S. for most people, DMR is a lot more fun if you have your own hot spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.