DMR programming with the BCD325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeDawg

Got the paid DMR upgrade and installed with 1.07 firmware.

Reading the "DMR and ProVoice Added to BCD996P2 and BCD325P2 Scanners " article, it says to:

If you are trying to discover the correct settings for a new system, program the channels as conventional channels:

MENU -- > Program System --> New System (or scroll to existing list to use and press E)
Conventional, then E/Yes to confirm
Edit Name, if desired.
Edit Group -- > New Group
Edit Name, if desired.
Edit Channel -- > New Channel then input the frequency.
Set Audio Type -- > Digital Only then set Search (for any Color Code) or Set DMR Color Code and select the code used by the service.

OK, great, I did just this thing with a local resort setup of four frequencyies as found from the excellent site:

Digital Frequency Search

Next, the DMR upgrade post says:

During conventional scan, when the scanner stops on a DMR transmission, the following information will be displayed:

DMR -- for DMR One-Frequency systems. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code, if you selected Search when programming the channel.
CON -- for MotoTRBO Connect Plus systems. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code, if you selected Search when programming the channel.
CAP -- for MotoTRBO Capacity Plus systems. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2), the received color code if you selected Search when programming the channel.
DT3 -- for DMR Tier III Trunked system. The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code if you selected Search when programming the channel.

Absolutely thrilling, get nothing of the sort, did someone forget to add just what the heck do I do with this fantastic new knowledge on the off chance it is shown?

I get noting of the sort shown n any of the three display options. FWIW, the DMR system I programmed in comes up on just one of the four frequencies, has no displayed info other than "DSC047" which does me no good far as I can tell.

Am I missing further instructions how to program DMR that were posted somewhere?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
DCS 047 indicates that the freq is NOT DMR, but rather an analog transmission using Digital Coded Squelch.

If the signal is actually DMR, it will indeed show one of the options listed.

Just because an entity has a license that allows DMR doesn't mean they are actually broadcasting DMR. In many cases a DMR system is planned, but the frequencies are currently being used for analog transmissions, or may not be used at all until the DMR system actually goes online. You can't assume that a freq in the Digital Frequency Search tool will always be digital.

Scanning a suspected DMR freq as conventional is a temporary measure until you determine what flavor of DMR is actually being used. Once you figure that out, then you program the freq into a DMR One Frequency or MotoTRBO Trunk system.

In your case, the DMR system is not online yet, and only one freq is currently being used, for analog transmissions rather than DMR.

DeDawg

In many cases a DMR system is planned, but the frequencies are currently being used for analog transmissions.

So the Uniden instruction to:

"Set Audio Type -- > Digital Only " are meaningless? Odd that an analog audio transmission comes through.......

If all that you posted is true, the new DMR upgrade is far from ready for prime time, or coherent programming. What a shock.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Try programming the freq into an analog-only radio, say the VFO of a Baofeng. That will isolate whether it's a digital transmission being misreported as analog with Digital Coded Squelch, or if it's an analog transmission coming through despite the freq being programmed as digital only in the scanner.

Verify that your scanner programming is for NAC/Color Code search, rather than just Search (which will pick up digital and analog transmissions regardless of color code, NAC, DCS, or tone setting.

DMR works as advertised on the x36 line, other than crappy simplex reception. But Uniden went through several beta releases before everything (other than simplex) worked right.

DeDawg

No one asked how the x36 line was doing, do not care either, dumped my 536 a few days ago.

The 325 does not give you a choice for type of NAC/Color search, only Search.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

If the scanner Search doesn't let you choose between selecting between searching for digital NAC/color code and analog DCS/CTCSS tones, then Search is going to pick up all digital and analog transmissions on a frequency. Program the freq in a Baofeng and see if it is picking up an actual analog transmission, or if the scanner is mislabeling a digital transmission as analog with a DCS code.

DeDawg

Uniden is so farqued up that you suggest buying some POS Chinese HT to fix their problem?

Again, slowly, go re-read what I first posted.

"If you are trying to discover the correct settings for a new system, program the channels as conventional channels:"

That is verbatim all the instructions Uniden has posted for adding a trunked DMR tsuystem.

NOT a search, "search" just comes up after you enter in the digial only audio. There is no option for NAC type of search, the implication of the choice seems to be to discover what NAC or whatever settings the DMR trunk is using. They did not bother to post complete instructions, just take your $60 and leave it at that.

Geezus, you such an apologist for them.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden is so farqued up that you suggest buying some POS Chinese HT to fix their problem?

No, to diagnose whether the behavior you are complaining about is a scanner issue, and if so, what type. And any analog-only radio will do, it doesn't have to be a Baofeng. I know you have at least one.

Again, slowly, go re-read what I first posted.

"If you are trying to discover the correct settings for a new system, program the channels as conventional channels:"

That is verbatim all the instructions Uniden has posted for adding a trunked DMR tsuystem.

You are ignoring the dozens of Upman posts on the subject. And also the concept that the writer of the instructions for purchasing and installing the DMR key might reasonably assume that including a comprehensive treatise on digital trunking systems and how to program them with the instructions for buying and installing the key might be a bit off-topic. That information is available, it's just categorized under programming digital trunked systems, rather than under the instructions for buying and installing a key.

If you haven't monitored a DMR frequency to determine what variant of DMR is in use, you can't program it properly. That is why it is necessary to temporarily program as coventional to determine the DMR type before you can program the system correctly.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

If you set a channel to Digital/Search, it will search NAC/Color and will ignore analog transmissions. If you are seeing DCS 047, then the channel is set to either Both or Analog.

DeDawg

If you set a channel to Digital/Search, it will search NAC/Color and will ignore analog transmissions. If you are seeing DCS 047, then the channel is set to either Both or Analog.
Thanks for chiming in Paul, was getting fed up.

So, if the channel is set to digital only, the search for NAC/Color is enabled, then what?

1. Does it pop up on the display and you have to write it down fast?

2. Then enter it into the programming?

Several steps missing from Uniden's instructions. Your explanation of the search and what is is helped, please fill out the rest.

At least no fool is telling you to go buy a radio to figure it out.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First of all, I'm not a fool. I'm trying to help you. There's a good reason to program the freq into an analog radio--to confirm whether the signal is digital or not. I never said you had to buy a radio, just cited a Baofeng as an option.

Second, you don't have to program a NAC or color code. It's optional. If you leave the freq set on Search rather than specifying a color code or NAC, then the scanner will play any traffic on the frequency. The only time you need to specify a color code or NAC is when there are multiple stations on the same frequency and you need to distinguish between them.

If you want to continue being a jerk, that's your choice. But you can expect to be added to my ignore list if you choose to do so.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
DeDawg, people are trying to help you. There's no need to snap at them if you don't like the advice they're giving you.

Might I suggest that if a member irritates you so much that you must lash out at them that you place that member on your Ignore list?

radicalbill

Please don't shoot me if I seem like I don't know what I'm doing because I clearly don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong and I really need some help

I followed the step-by-step instructions on the last post to enter a VHF DMR one channel frequency and I'm not sure if it's a one channel trunk DMR or just a one channel DMR and I'm not sure what the difference is but I was hoping that my 996p2 would be able to scan and look for whatever DMR transmission came acrossed

It does not seem to hear any DMR transmission even though I know there's a clear signal on my analog scanner the squelch opens and I hear the digital motorboard sounds but the 996p2 just sits there the screen doesn't change there's no indication it's receiving anything the squelch does not open and it does not decode the DMR Transmissions

Is there an addendum from Uniden on how to program A-1 Channel DMR system into the scanner and how to program a 1Channel trunk DMR into the the scanner and how to program a multi-channel trunk DMR system into the scanner and how to set the scanner to search for any Transmissions on that frequency or on those trunked frequencies end how to set to search for a specific group on a DMR frequency or DMR trunk Network?

I know this is a lot to cover but I've done what I thought was correct and reading here it looks like what I did was what I'm supposed to do but the scanner is just not opening up and decoding the signal

I have programmed 800 megahertz trunk systems before edacs p25 and 700 megahertz simulcast P2 systems and I've never had any trouble getting those to work but for some reason the DMR frequency I'm having an awful time getting that to work and I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Please help

Thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Please don't shoot me if I seem like I don't know what I'm doing because I clearly don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong and I really need some help

I followed the step-by-step instructions on the last post to enter a VHF DMR one channel frequency and I'm not sure if it's a one channel trunk DMR or just a one channel DMR and I'm not sure what the difference is but I was hoping that my 996p2 would be able to scan and look for whatever DMR transmission came acrossed

It does not seem to hear any DMR transmission even though I know there's a clear signal on my analog scanner the squelch opens and I hear the digital motorboard sounds but the 996p2 just sits there the screen doesn't change there's no indication it's receiving anything the squelch does not open and it does not decode the DMR Transmissions

Is there an addendum from Uniden on how to program A-1 Channel DMR system into the scanner and how to program a 1Channel trunk DMR into the the scanner and how to program a multi-channel trunk DMR system into the scanner and how to set the scanner to search for any Transmissions on that frequency or on those trunked frequencies end how to set to search for a specific group on a DMR frequency or DMR trunk Network?

I know this is a lot to cover but I've done what I thought was correct and reading here it looks like what I did was what I'm supposed to do but the scanner is just not opening up and decoding the signal

I have programmed 800 megahertz trunk systems before edacs p25 and 700 megahertz simulcast P2 systems and I've never had any trouble getting those to work but for some reason the DMR frequency I'm having an awful time getting that to work and I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Please help

Thanks

Ok...I'll start. Running firmware version 1.07.06?

radicalbill

I found that I have to do a custom search, then hold on the frequency, that shows the CC

Then I need to program a new system, one channel DMR trunk

Set the custom search tone to NAC / CC

Scan for everything and on the DMR site and it will show the talk group alternating the UID

No TS shows anywhere

it does show DMR on the search to tell you it is DMR

Uniden needs to update the firmware to make this better

If a China radio can show all this on one screen than certainly Uniden can

I have a 325 P2 and a 996 P2 with DMR upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.