DMR Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I have a question DMR.

The Reason I am ask for a trip I will be taking I see a few enities showing more than one dmr frequencies. Can I place more than one frequency in a system by adding them as different sites.

Thanks

Note to Moderator

if this post needs to be in other fourm. Please move it as needed.

Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What flavor of DMR? MotoTRBO Connect Plus, MotoTRBO Capacity Plus, DMR Tier 3, DMR conventional...

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Note to Moderator

if this post needs to be in other fourm. Please move it as needed.

Thanks

What forum this actually belongs in depends on what scanner you are asking about.

Once you let us know, I can move the thread and people can give you answers specific to your scanner.

jcherepy

Premium Subscriber
My guess is a ham radio, not a scanner.
Larry

Larry are you talking about Amateur Radio? Each repeater works just like analog, but what talkgroups are on a repeater depends on the network it's connected to. If you're talking about using a scanner, I'm sorry, I can't help you there.

Bill WB4WTN

Last edited:

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Ok the scanner is a 436 HP and I have been using the Digital Frequency search tool to search. I will be listen to fire,EMS and Law Enforcement type.

So I am not certain on what type of DMR it is.

Hope this helps a little.

N8IAA

Larry are you talking about Amateur Radio? Each repeater works just like analog, but what talkgroups are on a repeater depends on the network it's connected to. If you're talking about using a scanner, I'm sorry, I can't help you there.

Bill WB4WTN

Hey, Bill. No. I was presuming that the OP had a ham radio, not a scanner. But, it seems he has a scanner.
Long time. Will you be at the hamfest in November? PM me.
Larry

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Ok the scanner is a 436 HP and I have been using the Digital Frequency search tool to search. I will be listen to fire,EMS and Law Enforcement type.

So I am not certain on what type of DMR it is.

Hope this helps a little.

Just keep in mind that just because info is listed on the Digital freq search tool site, it does not mean you will hear everything listed. Justin's site pulls from the FCC and as many know, just because it's listed there still does not mean it's up to date, functional as of yet, or has the correct emission designators listed. I found some dmr in my area and the licenses still do not reflect dmr. I have some stuff that does reflect dmr but it's not being used yet. And I have some dmr that I can't find any licenses for. Still, Digital freq search is an awesome tool to have in the arsenal.

k3fs

Yes, you can add each frequency to the system as a different site.

However, there could be a couple of problems.
1. The 436 will not show the frequency, when programmed like this. To get around this I tag mine with the frequency then a short name. That way I will see what frequency was actually active, and some idea of the potential user.
2. If the frequency turns out to be capacity plus, and you have delay on, the radio may not leave that frequency. The active channel on a capacity plus system will put out a data burst roughly every second. If you see CAP flashing, you will need to disable the delay on that freq or avoid it.
3. My experience has been that I miss a lot of traffic when programmed as DMR one frequency, as compared to conventional and leaving the Audio Option set on search. I have tinkered with a lot of settings, and not found a solution to this. In fact, a local high school has a home game tonight, so I will be trying some more setting changes.

If these are truly unknown, I personally would program as conventional. With a little more effort of adding the default channel name via the radio, you will get the frequency and all DMR information. If it is Capacity plus, the same issue as above will be seen. You will also receive them, if they turn out not to be using DMR at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.