DMR Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Has anyone been able to decode with their DMR scanners one frequency without a repeater ?
It seems like if you have a repeater on DMR the scanners decode it but agencies without a
repeater can not be decoded. any thoughts ?

jason51

Yes, you can pick up simplex DMR, I have found that you can't be too close to it. I find a lot of simplex when searching, or if I know the frequency, i enter it into the quick save to get the TG CC and I'd.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
IMHO, the TRX series does a better job on simplex. I have all 4 scanners. Uniden 436/536, and TRX-1/TRX-2. Uniden released a firmware update to help with simplex decode. That firmware update helped on my 536, but the 436 still has major trouble.

YMMV, all locations and environments are different.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Sibbley,

Thanks, I am trying to monitor Harrison Public Schools and can't for the life hear them,
I am very close to the one school.

if you decoding on the 536 the simplex DMR how are u entering the frequency as one
frequency DMR ? and what are the other settings, would be a big help.

Thanks

Tony

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
mondaro, I program conventionally. I have not had good luck using One Frequency Systems with simplex. I usually end up with a manual threshold, somewhere between 5-7 for the threshold level. 200 on the digital waiting time.

You really need to do a lot of trial and error. I originally set up 3 of the same system on Amazon, which relies on simplex. I set them up with differing threshold levels and waiting time. Scanned just those three systems to see which worked best.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I do my searching for DMR in 'Quick Search' mode. I set the modulation to 'FM' manually & then most times use a decode of 'manual' with a level of '8'.

Doing it this way lets me see the color codes, slots, & TG's.

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
IMHO, the TRX series does a better job on simplex. I have all 4 scanners. Uniden 436/536, and TRX-1/TRX-2. Uniden released a firmware update to help with simplex decode. That firmware update helped on my 536, but the 436 still has major trouble.

YMMV, all locations and environments are different.

Hi sibbley. Since you have the Unidens and the Whistlers, can i ask which ones you find to be easier to program? I have the 436/536, and i know you just need to enter zipcode, range and service types to get started. Are the Whistlers the same, or do you need to select which systems to monitor? Thanks.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Hi sibbley. Since you have the Unidens and the Whistlers, can i ask which ones you find to be easier to program? I have the 436/536, and i know you just need to enter zipcode, range and service types to get started. Are the Whistlers the same, or do you need to select which systems to monitor? Thanks.

I think you can add your location to the Whistler products to do location based scanning. I've never done it. I always program through the scanner software.

IMHO, I think both Uniden and Whistler can be programed easily, once you get used to the software. With both brands, you can program by choosing systems and adding them to scanlist (Whistler) or Favorites List (Uniden). You can also program the way I do, by adding all my frequencies to excel spread sheets and importing (Whistler) or copy & paste (Uniden). I don't really find one to be easier than the other at this point. The software for both has it's own learning curve, but once you get used to them, they're ok.

I do find the Uniden's to be programmed easier through the keypad.

With either brand, IMHO, you are better off programming FL's (Uniden) or scanlists (Whistler) rather than using location based for normal scanning. Location based works best with the Uniden's while using a GPS when traveling.

Hope this helped.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Thank You Everyone for your time on your input on this thread. Great to know there's others to help when you get stuck on something I hope now I can finally figure this out. I will report back on my findings.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.