BCD325P2/BCD996P2: DMR Threshold? What is good setting?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
What is a baseline setting for the DMR threshold in my BCD996P2. It has DMR upgrade in it. I noticed in settings there is a new setting called "DMR Threshold". My P25 threshold is set to "8". The DMR one set to "auto".

Ubbe

It's different optimal settings for different systems and system types and brands, Motorola, Hytera, CAP+, XPT and so on. If it where one setting that fit them all then there would be no need to have it adjustable.

For the SD card scanners there are one setting stored for each system but for other scanners I think it's just one common setting for all systems which makes it less usable and you have to set it to the lowest bit error value, Fn+Vol, on the system that are most difficult to decode. Of course you can set it to Auto mode and it will self adjust to best decode quality.

/Ubbe

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. Many factors come into play so there's no "one size fits all" to this. Now, if you press the silver knob (function) and then press the volume button you should get a display like below. You'll want to keep an eye on the error rate (number circled on left of screenshot). Once that number reaches its lowest (ideally zero, though not always possible) you'll then want to keep an eye on the encircled number to the right, this is your threshold number. You'll want to set this number corresponding to whichever number displays when the error rate is lowest. Hope this makes sense
1683626747397.png

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
Just tried this on DT3 and the ERR was zero on each received transmission.
DMR threshold was set to auto and numbers showing on the right ranged from 8 - 16
It stayed on 11 during scan

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I set my DMR Threshold to 7 and seems to be decoding pretty good. What are the NUMBERS for on bottom of display mean? "T 1.38 1.62 1.86?"

DMR.png

Ubbe

What are the NUMBERS for on bottom of display mean? "T 1.38 1.62 1.86?"
The 1.60 value are the center of the audio signal and the signal swings above and below that value. The other two values are where the decoder tries and see where the positive and negative part of the signal are to determine if it's a data zero or a one. Different systems can have different amount of modulation level and the amount of noise in the signal will also affect what value that are the most optimum. A low setting of 5 will decode any modulation level but could also produce more false detect. A higher value are prefered but might be just at the brink of where it can decode and might skip some data bits.

/Ubbe

TongSlinger

Longtime Listener
Premium Subscriber
I was set to 7 and that seem to work well. After setting it to show the digital data and changing the setting to auto, it bounces between 12 and 13 with zero errors. Should I use a static or auto setting? What would be the preferred setting?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I was set to 7 and that seem to work well. After setting it to show the digital data and changing the setting to auto, it bounces between 12 and 13 with zero errors. Should I use a static or auto setting? What would be the preferred setting?
Experimentation is key. Not everyone's answer will suit your situation. Play around with the settings until you find one that works best for you

Ubbe

What would be the preferred setting?
Use the setting that gives the lowest errors. Auto seems to work fine when the signal are strong without any noise. If the signal are weak, that includes noise if you listen in analog mode, then a manual setting are better and will probably need you to go between different values to see what gives the lowest errors.

There could be some bugs in the firmware. In 436/536 and DMR simplex it totally stops decoding when using a fixed value but works fine in auto mode. I don't know if the same firmware code have been used in 996P2 that might make simplex decoding impossible if manual mode are selected for the threshold.

/Ubbe