Does anybody make a QUALITY dual band radio anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GMV

Baofeng! You get a $50 radio for $25. A great value if you ask me. If it breaks you send $25 to Amazon and in 2 days it is as good as new. Even comes with a new charger and antenna! Ya can't beat it. If it gets stole, complete a $25 lost application on Amazon and Viola, in 2 days a new replacement!

Love it!

lmrtek

I had several 2 meter radios that had great front ends

The Kenwood TR9000
ICOM IC-290
ICOM IC-25A

I guess pretty much any radio made in the 80s

Even today's commercial radios have gone way down hill

I had hundreds of HT600s in use in the chemical plant every day with workers standing within a few feet of each other talking on adjacent frequencies yet we never had desense issues till I got talked into replacing them with kenwood TK-350s

After that I had to put repeaters in all over the plant to try and eliminate the interference problems the HT-600s never had

Guess that's why I still use a HT-600 today

I feel sorry for the new hams because they have no frame of reference but throw away Toys R Us radios

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I had several 2 meter radios that had great front ends

The Kenwood TR9000
ICOM IC-290
ICOM IC-25A

I guess pretty much any radio made in the 80s

Even today's commercial radios have gone way down hill

I had hundreds of HT600s in use in the chemical plant every day with workers standing within a few feet of each other talking on adjacent frequencies yet we never had desense issues till I got talked into replacing them with kenwood TK-350s

After that I had to put repeaters in all over the plant to try and eliminate the interference problems the HT-600s never had

Guess that's why I still use a HT-600 today

I feel sorry for the new hams because they have no frame of reference but throw away Toys R Us radios

I had the opportunity to compare several "amateur" radios to commercial products. Just in my opinion, the filtering on the commercial radios are better, but I've yet to find radios with as good of front ends as next to any Motorola made in the last 35 years. The HT600 had a reputation for having one of the finest receivers available. As far as modern radios, my PM400s, Astros and XTLs have some of the best front ends compared to anything comparable.

Kb2Jpd

We have several great responses to the OP to the question.

A few points to bring up.

Professional radio users don't say silly things like Toys R US radios. Let's keep the signal to noise ratio high and communicate with respect. We are communicators, sound and write professionally.

A lot of the radio manufacturers don't like operating in an open loop. They do want to hear your opinion on what works, what seems to be a bug, and more importantly what they could do to improve their product.

Putting them down won't get you a chance or opportunity to communicate with them nor become an alpha or beta tester.

Writing an objective review will open unseen doors.

Now to those who already made your opinions known, maybe you should think about your post so your post reflects on you favorably.

I have written mod files from the 1980s and still receive occasional responses from all points of the compass. These posts have a long lifetime on the Internet and you don't want to have to apologize for something you wrote and then regret it.

Remember the Amateur code and enjoy the hobby and extended fraternity of hams around the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.