Double Click

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
The county I live in is a Kenwood branded area so all of the fire departments, and police all have kenwood radios. There is one channel that they have thats a mutual aid channel, the dispatchers call it "UHF Common". When units transmit on this channel, there is no hangtime with a repeater - dispite the fact that units can talk from one end of the county to the next- so its definately not simplex- and when units let go of the PTT, there is a distinct double click - like a normal radio closing the squelch but twice instead of once. also the signal is really powerful and clean but the audio sounds really basic and uncompanded compared to the other channels they have. anyone know what kind of system this is?? its pretty weird, the RR database says the channel is csq but its wrong because i can decode a 167.9 tone. pretty sure our county rr is outdated cause the tags are all wrong and there are channels in there that are way way long gone.

Premium Subscriber
sounds like something we had in the past in our area...if I remember right, it was several receivers spaced around that received the field unit and then transmitted this back to a centralized repeater..had two different kachunks at the end of the transmit of the field unit. this allowed for field units to be whereever in our county (usually portable radios) to be heard from any part of the county, the "centralized repeater" gave good coverage but the portables were not strong enough to transmit back to the central repeater

Astro25

That's because it's repeated. The first noise you're hearing is the repeater receiving the radio's un-key, and the second "click" you hear is the repeater un-keying itself. This is normal... it could be a Motorola repeater in which case they tend not to properly recognize Kenwood PL turn-off, resulting in squelch crashing. DPL tends to eliminate that.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
That's because it's repeated. The first noise you're hearing is the repeater receiving the radio's un-key, and the second "click" you hear is the repeater un-keying itself. This is normal... it could be a Motorola repeater in which case they tend not to properly recognize Kenwood PL turn-off, resulting in squelch crashing. DPL tends to eliminate that.

I think this is more like it- because yea, sometimes the radio wont do the double click, sometimes its just one, and I beleive that the units do have to use the mobile radios to transmit because like I said the signal is really clear from the dispatchers but the mobiles are kindof scratchy. Lol when it does make the double click it sounds pretty cool haha.

But yeah its a funny concept because you both said its "repeated". Basically this system is a Real repeater and not just and input and output like every other basic system around haha. And Im pretty sure you guys are right because this just furthers the argument that Yamhill County is just odd because they also have one of few MPT-1327 trunked networks working in the US. Another weird thing to add to the list..

Also I have some audio samples somewhere if anyone wants to hear. Not sure on the legalitys of this- but just for reference...

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
We have a kenwood rptr. in our area which is adjusted for a 1/2 second hang time. If you listen and didn't know better,you might swear it was simplex.
n9zas

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
It could be multiple receivers (not voted, different PL for access) fed back to a main transmitter with a cheesy RF link. Dispatch is more than likely wireline to the TX, that's why they sound so good.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
It didnt dawn on me before, but I just now realized that whatever kind of system it is, Its probably a Motorola branded type- or something that works very well with Motorola radios because I have a Kenwood Tk-3180 and a Motorola MTS2000, and I have this "common" channel programmed into both. When listening, the Kenwood squelches quite a bit when a transmission is over, and the Motorola closes flawlessly. Whats odd is that, I also have the Salem PD channels programmed into both. Salem PD uses Motorola equipment, and the during transmissions, both the Kenwood and Motorola Radio close just fine without any squelch.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
It could be multiple receivers (not voted, different PL for access) fed back to a main transmitter with a cheesy RF link. Dispatch is more than likely wireline to the TX, that's why they sound so good.

I agree with this because when the transmissions end, the PL stops before the signal goes down. (It turns into CSQ and then closes) Its really hard to notice, but if really turn the volume up...

We have a kenwood rptr. in our area which is adjusted for a 1/2 second hang time. If you listen and didn't know better,you might swear it was simplex.
n9zas

And yes, it did seem simplex, but its just a really short hangtime. prolly like 1/2 second as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.