Downtown Duluth

WindsorOntario

Premium Subscriber
Hello! I had been using the iPhone app for a while ‘Duluth Public Safety’ which suddenly disappeared a week ago. I was an avid scanner listener for years until nothing seemed to work. On Reddit I saw a post recently that the SDS100 works in Duluth. If it does, I’m very interested in getting it. Only thing is, in downtown/Duluth city, most of our activity is Duluth police, fire, Mayo Ambulance…St Louis County is geographically the size of a lot of states. We don’t get sheriff calls here very often, so I don’t really care about those frequencies as much as Duluth Police & Superior Police. Does anyone else have any luck picking up these frequencies?

Also with the new technology & antennas, how far can you pick up activity? Can I pick up activity in downtown Minneapolis (160 miles) from Duluth? Thanks in advance; I’m not very high-tech with a lot of this stuff!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Also with the new technology & antennas, how far can you pick up activity? Can I pick up activity in downtown Minneapolis (160 miles) from Duluth? Thanks in advance; I’m not very high-tech with a lot of this stuff!
Many different variables to consider & not all bands propagate equally. If said activity is low band or VHF then you may have a shot with the right antenna & ideal atmospheric conditions. You also need to consider topography & elevation differences between you and the transmitting station, output power of transmitting station among other variables. With that said: 700 & 800mhz certainly doesn't propagate as far out as VHF or lower so if you're looking to pick up Minneapolis emergency services on ARMER from 160 miles out then the answer would most likely be NO. Now of course there will always be that one person high up on a mountaintop with a Yagi pointed towards the city who will tell me I'm full of crock and can pick the system up just fine with 1 signal bar but that's the nature of Radioreference :ROFLMAO:

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
No you won't be able to pick up the cities, but you will have no problem in Duluth picking up Duluth, Superior and depending on where you are at some other neighboring counties. The SDS100 works great on ARMER, WISCOM and other area systems.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
My Icom R30 picked up Duluth great when I was camping last summer up there. The SDS 100/200 will pick up fine up there. The 436 should work to but with more P25 towers up there, better to get a SDS series scanner.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
When I was in Duluth these past few times it worked great on the Duluth simulcast. It also worked great in the cities when I was down there. Solid performance on 800, especially when stationary. VHF is so-so, that radio is fairly deaf so you may not pick up much outside of the city, even with filters and stuff like that, unless you end up heading east into Douglas county.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Can I pick up activity in downtown Minneapolis (160 miles) from Duluth?
The answer to this is rather nuanced. Under normal day to day operations, distant agencies will not be able to be received on local control channels (except for the pedantic 'technically' folks with massive antenna arrays on their roofs that @Whiskey3JMC was referring to), and you are typically limited to probably receiving your local site and the traffic that carries, and perhaps the sites immediately around your home site (although Duluth is a rather challenging place to listen from to begin with). From where I live in the northern exurbs, this is what i receive using my SDRs and a nooelec RaTLsnake M6 that sites on my desk:
1702758455248.png
The situations where you CAN hear traffic from far outside of your area, is when subscribers in your local area are affiliated with an interoperatibility, statewide, roaming, or special use talkgroup that is in use. There are a variety of reasons why this can occur, but typically it is because a radio was left on a statewide talkgroup unintentionally, sometimes, it is intentional (and a violation of SECB policy) so that a subscriber unit local to you can hear something that is 'interesting' to them (lots of LTAC1 traffic fits this), sometimes it occurs because it is a large coordinated operation and there are operational components local to you as well as in other areas of the state (you often see this when there is a lockdown event in the Department of Corrections, as their teams coordinate heavily between campuses in real time to handle a threat), sometimes there is a crosspatch in place (i will often see MSP St. Cloud patched with Mankato, Brainerd, or Detroit Lakes sometimes), and the final explanation is that there is a dispatch center using backup equipment (Mayo Ambulance dispatches from Rochester, State Patrol from Roseville or Rochester, North Memorial from Robbinsdale and Brooklyn Center, LifeLink from Bloomington, Allina from St. Paul, Sanford from Fargo, and ?Traverse County? from Willmar) as the system enables distant talkgroups to be used in the home site of their communications center in the event consoles fail or they use RF dispatch equipment.

I've never been to any of the counties to the north and west of Bemidji with my logging setup, but i have a large portion of their radios logged in Unitrunker because of this functionality with ARMER. In the last 6 hours on sites 2-002, 4-040, and 1-002, i've logged traffic from Cass Co ND, Mankato, Goodhue Co, Willmar, Alexandria, Owatonna, and Detroit Lakes.

Kb9njc

Premium Subscriber
I cannot find Duluth PD frequencies on Radio Reference to enter into my scanner. Would appreciate any help. Thx.

WindsorOntario

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies! I’m going to go with the handheld (SDS100) but am a little confused about all these options like upgrade keys and different antennas etc. I think I’m going to pay to have them set it up for me so I don’t have to worry about that. Does anyone know if those keys make a difference in Minnesota?

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Thanks for the replies! I’m going to go with the handheld (SDS100) but am a little confused about all these options like upgrade keys and different antennas etc. I think I’m going to pay to have them set it up for me so I don’t have to worry about that. Does anyone know if those keys make a difference in Minnesota?
I don't believe you'd need DMR or any of the other upgrades unless you intend to listen to business's. For Fire/EMS/Law you won't need the upgrades. Antenna wise, you may want to consider the Remtronix 800MHz Antenna for the SDS100.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Duluth area is P25. The SDS100 has P25 already. I’m in central Minnesota and never recorded anything NXDN so doubt it’s used up there. As posted above, DMR is usually businesses so unless you want to listen to that, no need to upgrade.

WindsorOntario

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that! There are so many different options that add up so fast - doesn’t look like we’d need that up here. Looks like I’d be fine just with the county programming and maybe a better antenna…

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
If you do end up ordering upgrade keys, order them directly from Uniden, not from a dealer. The dealer charges more ($15+) for the key than Uniden does.

The only non-business DMR systems I know of in that area would be the ALLETE MN Power system and a few hospitals.

I cannot find Duluth PD frequencies on Radio Reference to enter into my scanner. Would appreciate any help. Thx.

They are under the ARMER trunked system.