DPD 800 MHz antenna installation

galligan122

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a DPD 800 MHz antenna which should be delivered in a week or so. I ordered 100’ of times microwave LMN400 (n male n male connectors) cable and also coax seal tape.

I plan to run the LMN400 cable directly from the antenna (n female from antenna to n male cable) into my attached garage via a vent, then into the house. I have pre-existing holes drilled and don’t want to drill into my roof so this option seemed the most logical.

I like the idea for a clean look to have an N Female to N Female wall plate but those seem to be hard to find, unless I’m not searching correctly for what I need. any help on this?

From the wall I am going to use a short piece of LMN400UF (n male to n male) to go from the wall (hopefully) to the scanner.

Is there anything I am missing here that I would need?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

galligan122

Premium Subscriber
A shorter coax run? LMR400 has about 3.5dB loss for 100ft. How much gain is the antenna?
7 dBi gain. The existing antenna mast is located on the west side of the house, due to where in the house the scanner is, I can’t shorten it much

galligan122

Premium Subscriber
Do a Google search for N-female pass thru connector for your double-female. Also, would suggest a smaller diameter coax (RG58 or mini8) from the wall to the scanner... much less stress on the scanner connection.
Thank you! My next question is, I just realized my antenna connection is BMC. I’ll need either an adapter, or a cable that is BMC male on one end and F Male on the other. Is one option better than the other?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Thank you! My next question is, I just realized my antenna connection is BMC. I’ll need either an adapter, or a cable that is BMC male on one end and F Male on the other. Is one option better than the other?
FYI... the term is BNC, not BMC. A cable with the correct connectors is probably preferable to an adapter. And why an F male? I thought you said that you were using N connectors.

galligan122

Premium Subscriber
FYI... the term is BNC, not BMC. A cable with the correct connectors is probably preferable to an adapter. And why an F male? I thought you said that you were using N connectors.

thank you for the response! N connector is what I meant, unsure why I typed an F there. I will get a cable ordered today! Thanks again.

galligan122

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! What I envisioned was something like this in the wall, with only one N Female connection. Then running a cable with one end being a N male connector to hook to wall and the other end of the cable BNC male to the scanner. I just can’t seem to find exactly what I am looking for to make that happen.

Attachments

• IMG_5397.png
    IMG_5397.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

galligan122

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget the NEC requirements for grounding the antenna and coax shield as well as bonding all ground rods to the house main electrical panel ground rod.
Bill
Thank you Bill! That was actually another question that I intended on asking. The website says no ground plane necessary. I didn’t know if this meant they are saying I didn’t actually need to do that, and if so, if I should anyway. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5398.png
    IMG_5398.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 8

galligan122

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Bill! That was actually another question that I intended on asking. The website says no ground plane necessary. I didn’t know if this meant they are saying I didn’t actually need to do that, and if so, if I should anyway. Thanks!
Thank you Bill!

WA0CBW

Typically a no ground "plane" antenna will use the coax shield as the "other half" of the antenna. In most cases a ground "plane" can improve their performance.

I would use N or PL259 connectors on everything and a small cable (RG316 or174) jumper to go from the LMR400 to the radio SMA(?).

BILL

For the inside section of my antenna's feed line I used lmr240uf (ultra-flex) to run from the point of entry to the back of the scanner; n-male on one end and bnc-male to match the scanner on the other end. lmr400 is quite stiff and I did not want that directly attached to the radio.

Last edited:

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Not that it really matters, but what antenna do you actually have? The thread title shows "DBD 800" and the first post shows "DBM 800". Neither of those is an actual antenna as far as I know.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Not that it really matters, but what antenna do you actually have? The thread title shows "DBD 800" and the first post shows "DBM 800". Neither of those is an actual antenna as far as I know.
Going out on a limb and guessing it's this one...

If so I'll fix the thread title and first post.

galligan122

Premium Subscriber
Do a Google search for N-female pass thru connector for your double-female. Also, would suggest a smaller diameter coax (RG58 or mini8) from the wall to the scanner... much less stress on the scanner connection.

Sorry, it’s this antenna
Going out on a limb and guessing it's this one...

If so I'll fix the thread title and first post.
I apologize, this is the antenna.

galligan122

Premium Subscriber
For the inside section of my antenna's feed line I used lmr240uf (ultra-flex) to run from the point of entry to the back of the scanner; n-male on one end and bnc-male to match the scanner on the other end. lmr400 is quite stiff and I did not want that directly attached to the radio.
Thank you! How did you choose to go from LMR 400 to LMR240uf? As far as what adapter, and how did you make it look neat coming into the house? Thanks!

galligan122

Premium Subscriber