DPD Encryption works perfectly in controlling the flow of information

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSK

The media will have to start interviewing everyone in the area once the police leave to ascertain the story. It's the only way as the Denver police no longer trust the public and are no longer being transparent with the public in a timely manner by cutting off access to the most basic and routine of radio transmissions. They are intentionally, willfully and deliberately choosing to hide behind a veil of obscurity and secrecy. Trust can only work when it goes both ways.

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
While I do not like encryption, the media is using the whole encryption movement as a convenient cover story for their laziness and lack of actual boots on the ground reporting. It is one of the worst trends of the decade where reporters rely more and more on reporting remotely by sitting on social media. Just look for the screenshots of posts and videos from bystanders that were shared publicly.

The Five Points standoff is a perfect example of them covering their ass for writing this incident off as being another boring old shooting in Denver. The encryption did not help, but is that really a valid excuse for why they did not bother to follow-up on any of the tips from concerned residents of a SWAT team on scene for several hours? Not one reporter could be bothered to make the 8 minute trek to ask actual people on scene about what was going on and reporting on it? It is quite clear from other outlets that folks did ask about and even discussed the incident publicly, but it was not an interesting enough story until their reputation got put on the line once they got called out on their laziness. Any one of them could have sent a reporter by electric scooter and still have gotten a timely report.

When the media behaves badly, they are blameless and fall back to their convenient excuses like encryption in this case. It is not hard to see why the general public is apathetic towards the media's calls for transparency when the media simply will not put forth the effort to do their jobs.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
While DPD's initial tweet wasn't timely, you can't say they were hiding the incident. Did they control the message that was communicated, yes and that is the primary reason for encryption. Once they tweeted, any of the media could have sent someone to the area to see what was going on and get more insight on the vague tweet. Officers get sent to shots fired calls all the time, but how often do they close road to investigate it?

kc0kp

While I do not like encryption, the media is using the whole encryption movement as a convenient cover story for their laziness and lack of actual boots on the ground reporting. It is one of the worst trends of the decade where reporters rely more and more on reporting remotely by sitting on social media. Just look for the screenshots of posts and videos from bystanders that were shared publicly.

The Five Points standoff is a perfect example of them covering their ass for writing this incident off as being another boring old shooting in Denver. The encryption did not help, but is that really a valid excuse for why they did not bother to follow-up on any of the tips from concerned residents of a SWAT team on scene for several hours? Not one reporter could be bothered to make the 8 minute trek to ask actual people on scene about what was going on and reporting on it? It is quite clear from other outlets that folks did ask about and even discussed the incident publicly, but it was not an interesting enough story until their reputation got put on the line once they got called out on their laziness. Any one of them could have sent a reporter by electric scooter and still have gotten a timely report.

When the media behaves badly, they are blameless and fall back to their convenient excuses like encryption in this case. It is not hard to see why the general public is apathetic towards the media's calls for transparency when the media simply will not put forth the effort to do their jobs.
I love how Westword blasted the media on this. They could look in the mirror as well. They did not go either. Just 13 blocks away from their building.
You are looking at the new age of journalism. Print media hemorrhaging jobs and circulation. TV already cut to the bone. Radio? When is the last time you heard a radio news report from the scene of anything? Anything? Not even the radio traffic reports are timely.
The internet, social media, cable TV with hundreds of channels with nothing to watch all have ganged up to kill local news.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Did they control the message that was communicated, yes and that is the primary reason for encryption.

It's never really been an issue before so what's different now that has police believing they need to control communication to the public?

dougjgray

Almost every agency in the metro area encrypted after moving to phase 2, so I would conclude that phase 2 offers more reliable encrypted communication. Not sure about Douglas County if they upgraded there system

fredva

Feed Provider
Interesting about how the subject of this conversation includes the controlling of the flow of information. A few minutes ago, I made a post about encryption and why I hear agencies are moving to it. That message was deleted quickly after my post without a word as to why. I can't help that the truth hurts. Pot-Kettle...

jthorpe, when I'm logged into the forums, there is a message right at the top which would explain the deletion of your post. I'm not sure why you aren't seeing it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I find something intriguing. I read an article that the Denver City Council is going to approve, or already has approved, a motion to remove "pitbull bans." Fun to see where their priorities are ...

Status
Not open for further replies.