DPD Prec 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman3569

newbie said:
Then there is an opening in russia for you. I prefer to hold a higher standard of not being stopped and harassed by officers who believe a badge lets them do whatever they want, to whoever they want and for no other reason then they want to / can. i believe in the rule of law that states you need a leagal and valid reason to stop a person. Not make one up and testilie about it in court. If you feel the 'end justifies the means' you are surely in the wrong country.

Believe me if a cop stops you and rights you up for a made up reason you will be *****in about it.

oh and I guess your endorsment of this technique extends to the ol standby "driving while black" stops? cause if they have nothing to hide i am sure it is ok with them too.

if you are going to "right"someone up it is spelled write. learn how to spell please!!

Combustion

I have heard quite a number of stops for made up reasons to detain/search vehicles and have heard the ensuing probable cause discussions on the radio. However, the way I see it, those parties (police and suspects) are in their own arena doing what they do; and what I hear, right or wrong on the radio is strictly for my entertainment.

snowman3569 said:
if you are going to "right"someone up it is spelled write. learn how to spell please!!

Capital letters go at the beginning of sentences. If you want to correct spelling and grammar please use it properly yourself.

Combustion said:
I have heard quite a number of stops for made up reasons to detain/search vehicles and have heard the ensuing probable cause discussions on the radio. However, the way I see it, those parties (police and suspects) are in their own arena doing what they do; and what I hear, right or wrong on the radio is strictly for my entertainment.

I have heard numerous calls for performing a traffic stop. This is the one and only time I have heard "Make something up". That is the only reason for concern.

pappy1

This comment is for NEWBIE:
Well, everybody has offered their reasons as to what the officer’s were referring to when one asked the other unit to initiate a traffic stop. That is just enough information to be dangerous to a wanta be defender to the public.
As a retired Deputy Sheriff with 21 & a 1/2 years behind the wheel of a marked unit I can tell you that I can follow you for 8 blocks and watch you violate at least 5 moving statutes. I can stop you for any one of them and it will be upheld in any court of this land. While stopped I can inquire about any activity you have had that would be in violation of the law. If you don’t want to answer my questions then request a lawyer and I would stop all conversation and write you for the violation for the stop unless other violations were present which I would pursue.
Newbie’s 6:00 post has a little overtone of racial slur. [“Driving while black”] Do you know the driver black? I don’t think the officer made that statement.
See, as I said I know just enough to be dangerous too.

MetalManMI

garryd451 said:
I was wondering is it a State Law, a federal law or a FCC regulation that makes reporting what You hear on a scanner against the law?

I not arguing about it being legal or illegal, I just have never heard the exact law.

I believe the concern is...technically...it can be construed as eavesdropping and dissemination of information overheard.

popeye9941

dont bother me if i dont have anything to worry about go ahead and make the stop.........

Great. Another of those "go ahead and violate all my rights, cause I have nothing to hide", weenies. The Constitution was written for some very good reasons. I too have nothing to hide. but I don't have to prove that to anyone.
And by the way, stopping someone for not signaling a lane change is pretty lame. Half the cops on the road, don't know what turn signals are. Same goes for "he drifted over the fog lane".

bigbluemsp

I can't find anything in the MCL about it...

It might be a Federal thing but it's not listed in the MCL that I can see.

RadioRon

rdale said:
Don't forget - reporting information you hear via scanner is illegal...

If this were true wouldn't the first people violating be the news media? Don't they monitor area departments and send their crews out to report on what's happening and then show us "breaking news?" Isn't that reporting information you hear via a scanner?

On the other other hand, posting specific information about police actions on a speicific in-progress event that could be used by individuals to committ crimes, evade capture or harm others could easily be seen as obstruction, or aiding and abeiting.

Would you really want to find out?

garryd451

Pokagon, Michigan, half way between Niles and Dowa
As far as posting information that a crook might use, a lot of the professional crooks have their own scanners. Every Spring at the Cass County Sheriff auction they have at least a half of dozen Police scanners they took from crooks.

And at the Berrien County Sheriff Auction they have between 15 to 20 scanner that they auction.

I bought my two current scanners at these auctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.