Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Well there are no FAA Drotams in that area, are obviously at night, appear to be above 400 AGL and apparently operating BVLOS so yes.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Well there are no FAA Drotams in that area, are obviously at night, appear to be above 400 AGL and apparently operating BVLOS so yes.
I believe there are certain exemptions for UAVs that are operating away from airports and you note that they "appear to be above 400 AGL." Also, in earlier news stories, I believe the media noted that the FAA said there were no violations.

JJS402

Premium Subscriber
Why? Have they broken any laws?

If they aren't specifically military or a defense contractor then the FAA would have been notified of the activity as part of their waiver requirements. You need a waiver to legally fly at night and without visual line of sight (or from a vehicle). Also, if this wasn't DOD related (and so secretive), the party responsible for these flights would/should have come forward upon initial reports in order to prevent a waste of taxpayer funds used to chase these leads.

mancow

Database Admin
I believe there are certain exemptions for UAVs that are operating away from airports and you note that they "appear to be above 400 AGL." Also, in earlier news stories, I believe the media noted that the FAA said there were no violations.
But, how would the FAA determine the are no violations if they were never contacted for waivers of their own rules which BVLOS and night ops require regardless of airspace classification?

I just don't buy the fact a group of these things can operate in any area, especially the areas they are over, in this fashion without some sort of classified clearance, in this age of gov drone hysteria.

Someone isn't talking or is telling everyone else to play dumb.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I know about the 30 minutes before sunset rule. Why would the FAA say they're apparently flying legit (if, in fact, they really said it.).

Mancow, you're probably right "Someone isn't talking or is telling everyone else to play dumb."

KC0QNB

You have to wonder when a large city tv station, sends one of its reporters, out to investigate, and they shoot a video of a single engine airplane, and then say it was so close we could hear its propellers, while being about 5 miles from the nearest GA airport. Nobody so far has managed to get a decent video or even a good photo. I don't buy any of it, I don't believe there are any drones, doing anything and I won't believe it until I see a good clear photo or video.

Status
Not open for further replies.