DSDPlus - what would cause the saved wav to be corrupt?

kd4e

DSDPlus appears to be working, though its unfortunate that there's no integrated streaming feature.

I just noticed this morning that the saved wav files are flagged as corrupt - by Media Player.

I'm unfamiliar with MS versions of windows (switched to Linux way back at win xp).

Where should I start looking for the cause, please?

A possible setting in DSDPlus or a known MS quirk?

Thanks!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
DSDPlus appears to be working, though its unfortunate that there's no integrated streaming feature.

I just noticed this morning that the saved wav files are flagged as corrupt - by Media Player.

I'm unfamiliar with MS versions of windows (switched to Linux way back at win xp).

Thanks!
Niehter a DSDPlus or an MS quirk. Must be something specific to your particular setup. Windows has been around forever and isn't going to have trouble playing any wav file as long as the wav file isn't corrupt. And DSDPlus typically isn't going to corrupt anything unless you shut it down in midstream of recording a conversation. The wav files that were tested the other day from Evans County sounded just fine at that time. BTW, I don't use media player. I use Audacity. Just my preference.

kd4e

Niehter a DSDPlus or an MS quirk. Must be something specific to your particular setup. Windows has been around forever and isn't going to have trouble playing any wav file as long as the wav file isn't corrupt. And DSDPlus typically isn't going to corrupt anything unless you shut it down in midstream of recording a conversation. The wav files that were tested the other day from Evans County sounded just fine at that time. BTW, I don't use media player. I use Audacity. Just my preference.

Thanks. I'll ask our son to have a look. Maybe he'll spot something. Would it be hard to add that other county that we heard, Tattnall? It turns out that there is a need. (Meanwhile, I'm stuck re. the SDRTrunk project. I'm picking up shreds of feed but have something wrong there. If you get a moment one day I'd sure value experienced eyes on that.)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks. I'll ask our son to have a look. Maybe he'll spot something. Would it be hard to add that other county that we heard, Tattnall? It turns out that there is a need. (Meanwhile, I'm stuck re. the SDRTrunk project. I'm picking up shreds of feed but have something wrong there. If you get a moment one day I'd sure value experienced eyes on that.)
You want Tattnall on DSDPlus or SDRTrunk? Is your SDRTrunk project still a linux project?

cg

Premium Subscriber
You could try switching to MP3 and see if it is still having issues

JimmyJet727

Premium Subscriber

Thanks!

I would suggest copying the wav files to a thumb drive and see if they play correctly on a different computer. That will tell you if it's a hardware (possible failing hard drive) or software (program) issue.

kd4e

I would suggest copying the wav files to a thumb drive and see if they play correctly on a different computer. That will tell you if it's a hardware (possible failing hard drive) or software (program) issue.
Oddly, the wav files wouldn't play on another computer either, but mp3 files will (which is fine for the purpose) - both are created by DSDPlus Fast Lane (most recent version). It would be good to know why the wav files are corrupted - but things are functional at the moment.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a microphone on that machine? If so, create a wav file and then play it. If it does not play either, you have other problems. If it does, than something is not right with DSDPlus.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Download and install VLC media player. The Windows Media Player often craps out for me as well.

The same wavs that were labeled as corrupt by Windows Media also were corrupt when played with VLC - difference being VLC didn't say they corrupt but just didn't play any audio. Switching to MP3, the recordings played just fine. Switching back to wav, corrupt again. Pretty strange.

cg

Premium Subscriber
How do you have DSDPlus set up?
Is it the normal direct connection or TCP or the always squirrely virtual cables?
The only time I have ever got an error with playing a DSDPlus wav file is if I get mouse click happy and try to start playing a file that I already started but has not yet spooled up.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
How do you have DSDPlus set up?
Is it the normal direct connection or TCP or the always squirrely virtual cables?
The only time I have ever got an error with playing a DSDPlus wav file is if I get mouse click happy and try to start playing a file that I already started but has not yet spooled up.
I have access to his machine. It's setup simply with FMP24-CC.bat + 1R.bat using a direct link. I think it's Windows 10. Folder c:\dsdplus. Folder exempted from Microsoft Defender.