DTRS Location-Based Points/Radii Complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
For those of you using GPS-based scanners (e.g. BCD996T) and the RR the web import feature, thanks to the hard work our site owner (blantonl) for rolling out a tool to make this work easy on the admins., I have completed entering the lat/long coordinates and radius for each site and set of talk groups in the database for DTRS.

I am pretty sure that the entire trunking database for Colorado now has location based data for all sites and talk group sets, so if you encounter a set that does not have location data, please submit information for that system to let us know and it will be taken care of.

The conventional database will be worked on in the coming weeks. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
I'm sort of lost on this.. What exactly is this going to do for our GPS scanner?

Thayne

Short answer: The Uniden 996 can use that info to change things in the way the scanner operates in case you are driving around.

jfab

Thayne said:
Short answer: The Uniden 996 can use that info to change things in the way the scanner operates in case you are driving around.
This may sound like a stupid question, but why doesn't the 396t have this feature?

Thayne

Got me; maybe the shadow knows--My dad used to say you can't get 10lbs of "something" in a 5lb bag. :twisted:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
A better answer

Ryfly said:
Why do you need the lat/lon for your scanner?

Sorry, i'm a real newb at this lol

So that as you travel the radio will start listening to the stronger control channels and stop trying to get the ones that are getting marginal. Better scanning performance would be the result.

If I understand it correctly the scanner requires an external GPS be connected to it. The scanner itself is not a GPS so it doesn't know where it is unless something else tells it.

Status
Not open for further replies.