Duluth Unmarked Vechicle's

Status
Not open for further replies.

10-7Goodnight

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

I've noticed a lot of unmarked cars around town. They're usually black, grey, and I've seen a red one too. They have a antenna on the trunk, with a couple lights in the window. The officers usually wear casual clothes, carry a weapon, cuffs, and a portable radio. I know they're not DPD or State. Who are they? (Probation officers?) Sheriff? And what talkgroup would they be on? What channels would they have on their radios? Thanks.

10-7Goodnight

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

I'm sorry. Trying to delete the other posts. I'm in Duluth, MN. St. Louis County.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Duluth Unmarked Vehicle's

.....I know they're not DPD or State. Who are they? (Probation officers?) Sheriff? And what talkgroup would they be on? What channels would they have on their radios?.....

I would be interested in reading how you know that they are not DPD or State. They very well could be Saint Louis County Deputy Sheriffs. It is highly unlikely that they are local probation officers, since they had sidearms. Now if they were MN DOC fugitive investigators, which are not probation officers, they would be armed, but you stated that you knew they are not state, so I won't get into that.

As far as what talkgroups they would have, obviously that will depend on what agency they work for. There are a number of talkgroups that are required to be in every ARMER radio, but I don't think that is what you are referring to. Leave your radio on Talkgroup Search Mode, rather than Talkgroup Scan Mode, and you will hear whatever traffic pops up in the clear when you are monitoring.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, you may want to consider following the local news to see if they did a warrant sweep, executed search warrants, seized property, etc.

10-7Goodnight

I don't have any facts that they're not DPD or State Patrol. They just don't look like your average run of the mill police officers or state troopers. I have a couple police detective friends, and I know what they look like and drive. These guys drive Chevy Impala's with a cage in the back. Bottom line is, I was just wondering what they use for communication. (ARMER, Talkgroup) Thank you.

SCPD

QRT
Can you see some kind of badge on their belt?. With the very little information provided, it's going to be like the ole needle in the haystack to find out who they are and let alone what system communications would be on. I guess go up to one if you can without being arrested and strike up a conversation about the weather or the crappy Twins team

Good luck!!

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
If they're just unmarked officers they'd likely be on the main dispatch channel for their agency. If theyre a detective or serve some other purpose you'd need to know their job to better figure out where theyd be.

blue5011

Is there a "federal" building or presence in Duluth? I am sure there is quite a list of the usual alphabet soup agencies (FBI, DHS, ICE) there. My brother claims FBI techs came to our farm last week to check on their repeater, which is co-located on a phone company tower.

Could be deputies transporting prisoners. My county has the only jail in 60 miles that can hold female prisoners. I see unmarked cars all the time on US 169 and I-90. You might need one of those "Stingray" devices, made by Harris. These folks are probably talking more on cellphones than radios.

What state or agency license plates do the cars have? Many cars in my area have 123 GZA plates, but I see 123 MFH plates now replacing the GZA. 123 HKE seem to be from Albert Lea/ Freeborn Co area.

See something, say something, take photos.

10-7Goodnight

I'm a UPS driver here in Duluth, and I see them everyday. And usually not in the best part of town. I'll do some better ''investigative'' work next week. I don't really feel like going up asking who they are, and what channels they have on their radios. They might look at me sideways.

blue5011

I'm a UPS driver here in Duluth, and I see them everyday.
I drive regionally for a local company myself, so I notice many of the same vehicles/ same time frame on the road. Sometimes I have my 996XT w/ me, sometimes not. I can't seem to find my copy of my ham license so to keep the DOT/ police happy I have not been using the radio in my work truck lately.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I can't seem to find my copy of my ham license so to keep the DOT/ police happy I have not been using the radio in my work truck lately.
1. Go to License Search

2. Search for your call sign.

3. Click on your call sign

4. Click on the ADMIN tab

5. Click on "Authorization -- Licensee"

6. Your reference copy license will open in a PDF file for printing or saving.

sveeden

Unmarked cars / Security divisions

Most of the unmarked cars are St. Louis County Sheriff Officers, usually higher up on the pay-grade (Detective, Supervisor, special ops., etc). Duluth has plenty of law enforcement agencies in town. They have: US Border Patrol/DHS, U.S. Marshall service, Federal Courthouse (U.S. District, Bankruptcy, and Magistrate courts), TSA/Airport Authority (DLH Airport), MP (Air Guard), SLCSO, DPD, MSP (with a few buildings around the area), Social Security Office (With armed federal officers). Then there are the surrounding PDs including: Hermantown, Proctor, UMD, Fond du Lac, Floodwood. The MN 6th District County Courthouse has plenty of bailiffs/security also. I have probally missed some. There is also a fair amount of interaction between "Duluth" and Carlton County SO, Lake County SO, Cook County SO, Douglas County SO (WI) and Superior PD. I wouldn't be surprised if there were MN BCA cars up here often.

I live in Duluth, to be clear.

blue5011

1. Go to License Search

2. Search for your call sign.

3. Click on your call sign

4. Click on the ADMIN tab

5. Click on "Authorization -- Licensee"

6. Your reference copy license will open in a PDF file for printing or saving.

While looking for another letter (copy of a vehicle registration) I came upon my ham license paperweork w/ my new updated license.

Thanks to all who had suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.