Durham Regional Police Planning New Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3RADIO

Durham to spend $154 million for police in 2011

No new officers in the department's budget
Mar 02, 2011 - 03:01 PM
Keith Gilligan

DURHAM -- Policing is going to cost taxpayers almost $154 million in 2011.
That's a 5.29-per cent increase over the Durham Regional Police Services budget of $146 million last year. No new officers are being hired this year.
The budget was approved by the Region's finance and administration committee on Tuesday and it will be forwarded to Regional council on March 9 for consideration.
Regional Chairman Roger Anderson, also chairman of the Police Services Board, said the department's budget is "status quo."
The police service has about 870 police officers and 367 civilian staff.
In an interview, Chief Mike Ewles said, "We'll still cover off staff that leave through attrition."
Staff now stationed at the Pickering and Darlington nuclear stations will come back to the force as Ontario Power Generation builds up its security department, he said.
"I only ask for them (new staff) when I need them," the chief added.
Deputy Chief Scott Burns noted the department is preparing for a new "shift schedule," set to start in January 2012.
"It's a big change for us," Deputy Chief Burns said. "It will take resources for that to happen. There will be more officers on the street when we need them, like during peak times."
Chief Ewles said, "We'll have the same number of staff working different hours."
The police association has filed a grievance about the planned shift changes, Deputy Chief Burns said.
The new shift schedule will require more supervisory personnel, facilities and 22 new marked cars, he noted.
Under Chief Ewles, "Our focus has been on infrastructure and not staff," the deputy chief said.
Infrastructure the department is planning includes new facilities, a common communication platform (radio system) that will allow the police and other agencies, such as OPG security staff, "to talk to each other."
A ground-breaking ceremony for an operations training facility in Whitby will be held in April and the site will open at the end of 2012, Deputy Chief Burns said. It will include a firearms training facility and the 911 operations centre.
A new police station in Clarington is scheduled for 2014 and it would include a forensics building, he said.
"Our debt will be an issue going forward," he noted.
The Durham force placed second among Canadian municipalities of more than 100,000 in a ranking of 'weighted clearance rate', or the percentage of crimes solved, at 47.6 per cent, said the deputy chief. Kingston was first at 47.8.
While crime rates have been dropping across the country, primarily as the population ages, challenges in the future include adults who go missing, he said.
From 2008 to 2009, the number increased 11 per cent.
"They're missing and they don't have all their faculties. It's important to all of us."
The complexity of the work has also gone up, he noted.
In 1985, while investigating a domestic assault, there were 37 steps an officer needed to follow and these took one to two hours to complete. In 2005, the number of steps had risen to 58 and took 10 to 12 hours.

VE3RADIO

more than likely be encrypted if dealing with the nukes

Knowing how DRPS operate.. it would most likely be encrypted if they did nothing more than give parking tickets. Hopefully we can figure out when they test the system what TGID are what etc.. and follow the system with Unitrunker or something. It would be sweet if they went to something that is monitorable by software like TRBO ... then they would "feel" secure yet we could potentially still listen. Even if they go P25 we all know that sometimes one side stays clear... or they flick the switch by mistake etc etc..

all I can say is GET OFF TELUS NOW.. my tax dollars are high enough in Durham!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
if they went to something that is monitorable by software like TRBO

I think if they do decide to go TRBO (very unlikely) then it would probably be a sure bet that they would throw in Basic or more likely Enhanced Privacy.

VE3RADIO

I think if they do decide to go TRBO (very unlikely) then it would probably be a sure bet that they would throw in Basic or more likely Enhanced Privacy.

Yeah I agree it is unlikely but you never know.. iDEN was not one of the mainstream systems back when they chose it either.. given the size of Durham I think they will probably go to a P25 system... who knows.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
P25 is likely since a lot of GTA public safety agencies are looking to go P25 (if the goal is to communicate with other public safety departments

Whats OPG using? Just UHF non trunking 410.83750 for darlington? VHF paging for pickering?

a key maybe in the literature/quotes posted
"a common communication platform (radio system) that will allow the police and other agencies, such as OPG security staff, "to talk to each other."

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Who's to say they couldn't look at Fleetnet? There's a Bruce Power talkgroup on there for Zone 1 - 8496 213 D OPP 1BNPD Bruce Nuclear Power Plant - 1BNPD

Don't see why they couldn't suggest the same thing for Durham Region and Darlington/Pickering Etc.

P25 is likely since a lot of GTA public safety agencies are looking to go P25 (if the goal is to communicate with other public safety departments

Whats OPG using? Just UHF non trunking 410.83750 for darlington? VHF paging for pickering?

"a common communication platform (radio system) that will allow the police and other agencies, such as OPG security staff, "to talk to each other."

VE3RADIO

OPG is using iDEN... my friend works at Darlington :)

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Last time I was working up around the Bruce plant all the comms were conventional UHF. I saw a few radios here and there affiliate with the BNPD talkgroup but never observed any traffic on it. I wonder if they perhaps just use it to patch to OPP etc.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Sadly, I HIGHLY suspect any new system going on the air (including the new Halton one that's starting to come to life) will be 100% encrypted. Look at Windsor for a good example. That's the norm these days, I'm afraid.

There have been persistant rumours of a GTA wide system. Since Halton is doing 800MHz P25 as is Toronto, I can easily see Peel, York and Durham joining suit and having a TRUELY interoperable solution. From a PS perspective, I certainly hope that's what we have in the future. From a scannerist perspective, I hope I'm wrong.

dhollands

Fire departments in Northern Duham Region are all ready on Fleetnet. Not sure if it would affect the decision though.

In the south the region has a Motorola 800 system for fire and municipal requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.