Eastern Shore Encryption

pghDave

I see social media postings from both the Worcester and Wicomico Sheriffs that they plan to encrypt their LE channels.

Fire and EMS will stay in the clear for now.

Have not heard any plans from Ocean City.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
From the Worcester County Sheriff Facebook page, October 22:

"Recently, there are a number of citizens who expressed their concern regarding the encryption of radio communications.
In the coming months, the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office along with the majority of law enforcement agencies in Worcester County, Maryland will be moving towards full encryption of radio communications. This encryption would be for law enforcement only and does not include Fire and EMS. There are a number of agencies throughout the State of Maryland, to include the Eastern Shore, that are already encrypted. As you know, with the birth of social media and the evolving growth of technology, the expectation of information has become immediate. It should be known that each agency makes their own determination to encrypt their radio communications. After careful consideration, I made the decision to encrypt all radio communications for the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, until we can further explore other options.
This decision was made over an extended period of time, where I have spoken with staff, to include my men and women who work on the front lines every day. I also consulted with a number of subject matter experts on the pros and cons of encrypting radio transmissions.
As many of you know, I am a huge proponent of transparency and the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office is more transparent now than ever before. My intention is to balance the safety of law enforcement personnel, respect the privacy of our citizens, and to continue to be transparent as possible. All communications will continue to be recorded and can be accessed through MPIA requests if needed. During the process of making this decision, I was told by some that the safety of law enforcement personnel was not a substantial reason to encrypt radio transmissions. I could list several scenarios and circumstances to support that this is an officer safety concern.
Please keep in mind that when you listen to a scanner at home of our radio transmissions, there are criminals who have the same capabilities. I certainly realize that the majority of those who follow social media posts and listen to our radio communications do it for the right reasons. When researching this issue, I was provided with a publication from the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, that strongly encourages the encryption of radio communications and also provides supporting facts. I have listed a link to that publication below.
When speaking with the men and women of the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, who work all hours of the day and night, they overwhelmingly prefer to operate on an encrypted radio channel. I will continue to support the men and women who serve the citizens of this county, even if a decision is not popular. I understand that some people will still have an issue with this decision, however, I will remain committed to transparency and accountability. I will also continue to explore avenues moving forward to find a solution to that will work for everyone. In addition, we are currently working on enhancing our social media foot print along with additional media releases. The support to my men and women who keeps our community safe is paramount."

maus92

Premium Subscriber
A FOIA request is not a balancing solution as it is not timely. Furthermore it can be buried by the bureaucracy if the request not filed by an person with expertise and reputation. A true balancing solution would be a delayed feed of radio traffic - easy to implement and not expensive.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Or … we could flood sheriff’s office with FOIA requests every time we hear a siren or see a blue light flashing. I have been amazed by how much MD LE radio traffic isn’t encrypted. Guess this is coming to an end.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Yes thanks to the idiot that was posting police calls on Facebook 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ don’t act surprised
He was trying to justify because the Wicomico Sheriff basically said he had to be the first to break the news and basically ripped him a new one. Pages like that are ruining the hobby, it’s funny though because they’ve been in the clear ever since they switched to P25. And I can remember when that Wicomico Corporal got killed in June 2022, the whole event was in the clear being that they stayed on there Dispatch channel. It’s happening down here in Virginia too, sad

Reactions: hey

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry for your troubles, Eastern Shore. My wife and I considered retiring there when we lived in Maryland.

As far back as the 70s most police departments detested the fact that mere citizens could monitor their comms... my tiny hometown in Maine even had a 10-code for "Subject Has Scanner in Vehicle." That was the 70s. To claim that "advances in technology" are the cause for this move to encryption is not a reason, it's an excuse, and it's disingenuous.

Vote with your feet... There are still places in this country where public safety officials--citizens themselves--believe that the citizens are still in charge of things. Balancing officer safety with public transparency is as simple as having dispatch in the clear, and as many encrypted tac channels as you want. It's not that hard, and suggestions to the contrary are just lies covered in a word salad.

By the way, the Police in my old hometown in Maine--a town of about 20K--is now 100% encrypted.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Here is some press coverage about the Worcester County Sheriff's decision to encrypt all LE radio traffic:

And a "both sides" editorial:

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
A FOIA request is not a balancing solution as it is not timely. Furthermore it can be buried by the bureaucracy if the request not filed by an person with expertise and reputation. A true balancing solution would be a delayed feed of radio traffic - easy to implement and not expensive.
Besides a FOIA request not being a balancing solution, it requires a requestor to provide personally identifying information, surrendering their anonymity. Some law enforcement agencies think they have a right to know why a person is making a FOIA request. Any request can and will be used against you. Been there, done that, got the unanimous Court of Appeals Opinion, citing back to the reign of

Ethelred the Unready

overturning a guilty verdict and three year prison sentence for "abusing" the Freedom of Information Act/ Public Records Act.

If encryption is necessary, a mechanism for real-time monitoring by recognized media as well as a minimally-delayed feed for the public are better solutions.

Last edited: