Elevated to High

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanManQSL

Premium Subscriber
QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge announced today that the threat level in the nation's capital will be raised from yellow (elevated) to orange (high)... Keep your ears open there should be more police activities on the radios!!!

doctordave

I live in Northern Baltimore County....a bit too far North to copy the UHF trunked system....but I am nicely copying re-broadcasts of DCPD Citywide on 159.15.....are there any other VHF freqs on which the DCPD simulcast?

Also, out of curiosity - are the patches of US Park Police, Capital Police into the DCPD UHF trunked system full-time or just as-needed?

One more question - has anyone used a TV antenna for reception in the 850's - 860's MHZ? I am wondering if such an antenna might be somewhat resonant? Certainly not a viable option for other public safety bands. Curious if I might possibly be able to super-stretch reception enough to copy the DC PMARS on 866 by aiming a TV antenna at DC and using low-loss cable. Completely unlikely??

Thanks much.

Dave

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
One more question - has anyone used a TV antenna for reception in the 850's - 860's MHZ? I am wondering if such an antenna might be somewhat resonant? Certainly not a viable option for other public safety bands. Curious if I might possibly be able to super-stretch reception enough to copy the DC PMARS on 866 by aiming a TV antenna at DC and using low-loss cable. Completely unlikely??
To be blunt: no, no, and yes. :) If your TV antenna is mast mounted already, you would be best served if you were to use a yagi.

Click on this link:

http://shop.waltel.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

When that page loads, type yagi into the search box on the lower left hand side and you will be presented with a selection of yagi's to choose from. I would go with the 9dB gain one, personally, for $79.00.

mr_hankey

will be raised from yellow (elevated) to orange (high)...

alright.

i, for one, have grown weary of apparent "false alerts" and a multi-colored warning system (e.g., "magenta", "amber", "wheat", "rose"...you get my point)

i propose we have a new terror alert system similar to the old Hi/Lo settings on gas lawnmowers of yore:

Turtle - "nothing happening, don't worry - move on"
Rabbit - "OMFG?!?!?! there's a terrorist WHAT?!?!? going to happen?!"

i feel the Turtle/Rabbit system is a more honest reflection of how Americans already feel when the current multicolored terrorist alert system changes hues anyway...

dc2wheel

doctordave said:
Also, out of curiosity - are the patches of US Park Police, Capital Police into the DCPD UHF trunked system full-time or just as-needed?

They're just as-needed, and as of yet I haven't heard them used. Many Park Police & Capitol Police just have MPD radios in their cars, and come up over the air of the patrol district they're operating in as needed.
-dc2wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.