Eton Elite Satellit (a.k.a. Eton E1) selling at Universal Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunddiigg

Premium Subscriber
Not to beat a crappy radio to death but if you're late to the discussion, this article from the SWLing.com blog sums up the issues well. It's pretty in depth....

Mike
It's very disappointing they would put something or that quality out.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Re the Passband tuning being missing- I've discussed this with Dan R and I think what might have happened was that Drake (which was heavily involved with the original E1) stopped Eton from using it in this receiver because of copyright issues (or similar). Not that Drake hasn't been out of the HF world for quite a while now, but....Anyway, I'm willing to bet that the Eton engineers that worked on the new radio didn't understand how it worked, so they basically punted. This radio could have been an easy flagship, but instead it wound up being the Titanic. All they would have had to do was to rework the radio for today's components, fix the bugs (and WHY pray tell is there STILL no carrying handle??) and release it as an E2. it's not likely to be that simple, of course, as it's a vast oversimplification, but it would seem the logical approach

Mike

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Shameful they shipped such a garbage radio with such an insane price tag. Good grief.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Wow...
Doubt if they're gonna recover from this one. Last Eton product I had was an E10 which works good. Had the original E1 and it was on Ebay in 6 months after things died one by one, got rid of it with a full list of its problems. Good riddance.
It's a shame because I loved it when it did work.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Re the Passband tuning being missing- I've discussed this with Dan R and I think what might have happened was that Drake (which was heavily involved with the original E1) stopped Eton from using it in this receiver because of copyright issues (or similar). Not that Drake hasn't been out of the HF world for quite a while now, but....Anyway, I'm willing to bet that the Eton engineers that worked on the new radio didn't understand how it worked, so they basically punted. This radio could have been an easy flagship, but instead it wound up being the Titanic. All they would have had to do was to rework the radio for today's components, fix the bugs (and WHY pray tell is there STILL no carrying handle??) and release it as an E2. it's not likely to be that simple, of course, as it's a vast oversimplification, but it would seem the logical approach

Mike
Although I’m not at home now to confirm but I’m pretty sure passband tuning works. as I recall from last year I was able to see and hear the passband shifting above or below the signal. Of course I only confirmed on ssb and cw signals. I’ll be back home in April and confirm my findings. AM sync is a big fail for Eton, as well as battery life. My E1 is still working well and I find little comparison between it and the Satellit other than cosmetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.