• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EM Wave Multiband antenna sweep

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm going to be deploying new multiband radios for an application at work, and have been trying out different multiband antennas from various manufacturers. I don't want to put up with the Motorola/PCTel monstrosity. The county I'm in has had to replace more than a few of them, and for the price they should be more durable...

I've done the Larsen multiband antennas in this thread: Larsen Multi-Band antennas

Here's the sweeps from the EM Wave EM-M43002.
The antenna is rated for 150-162MHz at <2:1swr, 450-490MHz <2.5:1swr and 763-870MHz at <2:1swr.

The antenna was installed on the existing permanent mount Larsen NMO-HF mount dead center on the roof of a crew cab F350, so pretty much a near perfect ground plane. Testing was done with an Agilent spectrum analyzer with tracking generator.
I used the antenna straight out of the bag. The whip is adjustable, but I left it where it is from the factory.

Here's the sweep from 30MHz to 1GHz. Yes, I know the antenna isn't rated for that, but someone always wants to know "will it work on low band?". Answer, not well, and here's proof:

VHF, it appears to do better than the posted specs. I'd have no qualms using this across the VHF band from 2 meters to 174MHz. Seems to favor the middle of the VHF band, which makes sense for public safety type users. Would have no problems running on the lower 151MHz all the way up into the 160/170MHz federal stuff.

UHF, again, seems to do a bit better than posted specs. Looks like it would do just fine on the amateur 70cm band, 460MHz public safety/commercial, GMRS and well up into the T band. Seems to favor a bit low on the UHF spectrum, but low SWR isn't the only measure of a good antenna, and the SWR is just fine for any modern radio.

700MHz, 800MHz, 900MHz sweep, again, SWR is low. Pay no attention to that big blip around 854, I was testing about 1/4 mile from my trunked system and that was the control channel.

I like the sweeps. Looks like it would be a good performer for one of the new multiband mobiles. I like the antenna. I've got a few EM Wave VHF 1/4 wave antennas I'm using on both personal trucks, and they've been great antennas.

My only complaint with the antenna is the spring makes a bit of noise when the antenna bounces around from a tree branch strike. Not an issue, but I wish they had used the flex spring from the 1/4 wave antennas, but I suspect the larger spring helps with bandwidth.

I still prefer the Larsen a bit more. Not sure why, the specs are pretty close. I think it may be a visual thing. I do think EM Wave has a better base design.

Either way, both antennas look good. For the price, <$40, it's a good deal. I'll probably run it on my work truck for a while and see how it does. If it's like the other EM Wave antennas, I suspect it'll do just fine.

commscanaus

Looks fairly similar in frequency response to the Antenex/Laird ABSCANC that I have been using for quite a few years for receive only.
Put a VNA on it a while back and was pleased to find it reasonably broad banded where I needed it to be, mainly 160-170MHz and 420-450MHz.
The EM Wave looks to be a great choice for multiband transceivers.

Nice work and excellent plot pictures!

Commscanaus.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Did you order that from antenna farm. I knew there was some issues within last year with orders etc.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Not to veer off-topic, but what "issues"? I have been nothing but happy with their service, and have ordered from them multiple times in the past year.
I thought one of the owners had passed away and was not fulfilling orders.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
I ordered from them just about 2 months ago, no problem.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'm going to be deploying new multiband radios for an application at work, and have been trying out different multiband antennas from various manufacturers. I don't want to put up with the Motorola/PCTel monstrosity. The county I'm in has had to replace more than a few of them, and for the price they should be more durable...

I've done the Larsen multiband antennas in this thread: Larsen Multi-Band antennas

Here's the sweeps from the EM Wave EM-M43002.
The antenna is rated for 150-162MHz at <2:1swr, 450-490MHz <2.5:1swr and 763-870MHz at <2:1swr.

The antenna was installed on the existing permanent mount Larsen NMO-HF mount dead center on the roof of a crew cab F350, so pretty much a near perfect ground plane. Testing was done with an Agilent spectrum analyzer with tracking generator.
I used the antenna straight out of the bag. The whip is adjustable, but I left it where it is from the factory.

Here's the sweep from 30MHz to 1GHz. Yes, I know the antenna isn't rated for that, but someone always wants to know "will it work on low band?". Answer, not well, and here's proof:

VHF, it appears to do better than the posted specs. I'd have no qualms using this across the VHF band from 2 meters to 174MHz. Seems to favor the middle of the VHF band, which makes sense for public safety type users. Would have no problems running on the lower 151MHz all the way up into the 160/170MHz federal stuff.

UHF, again, seems to do a bit better than posted specs. Looks like it would do just fine on the amateur 70cm band, 460MHz public safety/commercial, GMRS and well up into the T band. Seems to favor a bit low on the UHF spectrum, but low SWR isn't the only measure of a good antenna, and the SWR is just fine for any modern radio.

700MHz, 800MHz, 900MHz sweep, again, SWR is low. Pay no attention to that big blip around 854, I was testing about 1/4 mile from my trunked system and that was the control channel.

I like the sweeps. Looks like it would be a good performer for one of the new multiband mobiles. I like the antenna. I've got a few EM Wave VHF 1/4 wave antennas I'm using on both personal trucks, and they've been great antennas.

My only complaint with the antenna is the spring makes a bit of noise when the antenna bounces around from a tree branch strike. Not an issue, but I wish they had used the flex spring from the 1/4 wave antennas, but I suspect the larger spring helps with bandwidth.

I still prefer the Larsen a bit more. Not sure why, the specs are pretty close. I think it may be a visual thing. I do think EM Wave has a better base design.

Either way, both antennas look good. For the price, <$40, it's a good deal. I'll probably run it on my work truck for a while and see how it does. If it's like the other EM Wave antennas, I suspect it'll do just fine.

Hmmmmmm..... we're getting ready to outfit a command post trailer with a couple of Harris XL200M mobile radios, this looks like it might just be a viable candidate for the antennas.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hmmmmmm..... we're getting ready to outfit a command post trailer with a couple of Harris XL200M mobile radios, this looks like it might just be a viable candidate for the antennas.

I've had some time to play with them.

Larsen and EM Wave seem to have nearly identical performance.
I did some 'real world' testing by placing each one on my wife's truck (her's fits in the garage). The EM Wave whip and spring are pretty stiff. Not really an issue, but made some more noise pulling in and out of the garage.
The Larsen has a more flexible whip and I think a more flexible spring in the base. It's not such a racket.

I left the Larsen on her truck (only used for VHF) and it's been fine.

The EM Wave is here in my office hooked up to a scanner.

The other Larsen I have is on the work truck waiting for the XL-200M's to arrive, but hooked up to the 800MHz radio.

Either one would probably work fine. If the trailer doesn't get pulled up overgrown access roads or low garages, the EM Wave would be fine. If the guy towing the trailer isn't careful, you do run up and down overgrown roads, or it does get parked in a low garage, the Larsen would be my choice.

prcguy

Hey mmckenna, within the next week or so I will be doing some antenna range testing on various multiband NMO antennas like the Larson, Laird, COMPACtenna, and a few others. If you can loan me an EM wave for a week I can add that to the mix which will concentrate on radiating performance over the specific 136-174, 380-512 and 750-960MHz ranges. If you pay shipping one way I will pay going back.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hey mmckenna, within the next week or so I will be doing some antenna range testing on various multiband NMO antennas like the Larson, Laird, COMPACtenna, and a few others. If you can loan me an EM wave for a week I can add that to the mix which will concentrate on radiating performance over the specific 136-174, 380-512 and 750-960MHz ranges. If you pay shipping one way I will pay going back.

Sure, I'll be happy to loan it to a good cause.
PM me your shipping info.

mrweather

I look forward to seeing those results!

I just bought and installed a Sinclair SW-2340SB-1 which is touted as covering those three frequency ranges. So far I've been happy with it recognizing that I shouldn't expect it to perform like my higher-gain Larsen NMO2/70.

Last edited:

prcguy

PM sent. So far I have the Larsen Tri-band, Laird tri-band with fat base, Maxrad BMAXSCAN100, Austin Spectra, A/S MON series with 800 choke, COMPACtenna SCAN III, COMPACtenna LMR-1. If I can get the EM wave from mmckenna in time that will be icing on the cake. If we have time I'll add a few ham antennas like the Larsen 2/70B and something from Comet or whatever else we dig up but the main test is intended to compare multiband commercial and scanner types.

I'll use an Agilent FieldFox feeding a wide band amplifier for about 20dBm output level into a 100-1000MHz log periodic aimed at a test vehicle from 30-40ft away. I have a 1/4 wave whip for each band 136-174, 380-512 and 694-960MHz that will be the cal standard to normalize the FieldFox and all antennas will be compared to that for gain or loss within each band. I'll also take VSWR plots of each antenna in each band, although this is more of a performance test and not a VSWR test as anyone can do that.

The NMO mount for the test antennas will have a 6dB pad for matching as some of the antennas will probably not have a great VSWR at band edges and that will provide a better match to the test equipment. My first choice for the test location is the bottom of a 150ft cliff on a beach where there is no reception except for a few boats in the marine band. Not sure if I can get that and second choice is mostly blocked by hills with very poor reception and a good noise floor.

I've been wanting to do this test for awhile after seeing how well the COMPACtenna SCAN III played against a few others in a previous shootout and now I have their model LMR-1 to play with. Hopefully the results of the test will put all these antennas in a pecking order so potential buyers will know what works best and or what to expect from each model.

Sure, I'll be happy to loan it to a good cause.
PM me your shipping info.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I’m really excited to see the outcome of this! I have an LMR-I and I love it, but I’ve been having issues with it on one of my vehicles. The SWR is unusable and I can’t figure out what’s going on with it.

-B