Emergency Management FEMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad24

Scanner Enthusiast/Local Media
Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if Gaston County is Have a Emergency Management FEMA Channel on Viper ?

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if Gaston County is Have a Emergency Management FEMA Channel on Viper ?

This is the only thing listed for emergency management in Gaston County on Viper

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
185004844DGaston EMGaston Emer Mgmt Multi-Talk

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
FEMA is a federal agency and wouldn't have a Gaston Co. TG. I have not heard any permanent FEMA TGs on VIPER if needed they can be assigned and flashed into cache radios in the event of emergencies. Most counties and the state have local emergency management agencies, like what @JCFF54 showed you, but those are not FEMA.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
FEMA usually operates in the UHF low (406-420) and VHF (136-151) bands. They are mostly encrypted but anything with NAC 421, 124, and 312 would be suspect.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Lots of municipalities have emergency management channels or talk groups but traffic is rarely heard on them. The local EMA director is a long-time friend of mine and he said he can't remember the last time he used his channel.

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
@brad24, seeing you are new, assuming you are new to listening, first welcome!

Lots of times local emergency management may be requested to large incidents. Big structure fires, multi vehicle MVCs, other special incidents, to mainly provide logistical support but also liaise and communicate with special agencies, such as state rescue teams and hazmat groups. Most everywhere thought Ive always heard them use the operations channels that the incident command is on.

I know of at least one town that has a EM channel, and its used for local EOC ops, during hurricanes. But normally its to request coffee between offices, etc. Nothing out in the field.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
All 99 Counties have a standard issued emergency management talkgroup.

The only exception is Camden and Pasquotank share the same emergency management talkgroup.

Of the ones I have programmed up they are never used.

Most talkgroups used are dispatch, ops and tac channels.

David

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
VIPER has allotted talkgroups to all NC Counties, you can kinda tell which Counties aren't using VIPER due to the same exact 6 talkgroups for each County has (Fire, EMS, Law, Emerg Mgmt, Tac, Mutual Aid). The ones that do use VIPER will always have more than just 6 channels. Gaston County does have plans to switch to VIPER in the near future but it's a slow process right now. The guy that climbs & builds the towers is a friend of mine and he's already started moving decommissioned equipment off them to make room.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.