EMS GPS usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex288288

So im gonna ask something fairly stupid probably.

Can EMS use a GPS?? i hear alot of them asking for pretty specific directions, and was wondering if they use one, or do they strictly rely on Maps?

thanks.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
If it is a call in the city, I generally know where I am going. However, we get alot of transports to out of town nursing homes that I have never heard of. I use the GPS alot for these.

gary123

The dispatch console has both the gps directions and the location of the responding unit (when its working LOL). When the call is dispatched the dispatcher can select the directions from either the database or from GPS. The latter is used a lot for construction zones or blocked access. Dispatch can even call up google earth and take a look at the general area although this doesnt happen a lot but outside big cities and in parks they will look and see where items like the boat docks or playgrounds are.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
So im gonna ask something fairly stupid probably.

Can EMS use a GPS?? i hear alot of them asking for pretty specific directions, and was wondering if they use one, or do they strictly rely on Maps?

thanks.
Occasionally you find an agency that has antiquated rules preventing this, but that's rare and getting rarer.

So to answer your question, generally speaking, of course they can use GPS. Many agencies do. Our ambulance is just old enough (2006) that it came without a built-in one so we use a smart phone app called Active911. When the call information reaches your phone, all you have to do is display it and tap on the location bar and it will display a map with the fastest route between where ever you are and the location of the call. It even allows your choice of Google, Apple, or Active911 mapping sources.

Some of my members who don't have the Active911 app on their phones will just pick a map source and enter the address. Same results there, too.

We're getting a new ambulance within the next few weeks, and I suspect it will have the full blown Ford AM/FM/GPS/satellite unit in it. Surprisingly, I don't expect we'll use the GPS in it much. The Active911 is faster and there's no typing necessary.

jasoyeom

Here in Norfolk County the ambulances have Panasonic laptops and they have access to maps and locations on it. It looks like proprietary software but could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.