Encryption for Peoria (city) Police Dept.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
Listening to the news tonight. Peoria city Police Dept, hopes to have their transmissions encrypted, by June, 2024. I have enjoyed listening to anyone/everyone since the mid-sixtys. No comment was made about Peoria Co. Sheriff's Dept or Peoria city Fire Dept. I sure hope they change their mind or at least not encrypt everything. I am going to end up with a bunch of spare time if they start encrypting the "good stuff".

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Don't hold your breath. It's going to happen.

Here in DuPage County, the two regional dispatch centers (DU-COMM and Addison Consolidated Dispatch Center - ACDC) had a delay in getting the law enforcement encryption through a series of hiccups, appearing to be on the Motorola end. It's going to happen, but each delay is a blessing to fellow scanner enthusiasts in DuPage County.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
There are reports that the Illinois State Police will also encrypt in 2024.
If you are still interested in the "hobby", there are still plenty of other things to listen to, in my opinion.

I actually spend most of my hobby time, HUNTING for PL tones, DMR/NXDN codes, talkgroups and Identifying users on digital systems. It is so much more fun and rewarding to me.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Hopefully, they'll not encrypt EVERYTHING.

{{ Encrypted audio would remove that ability for folks on the scanner or an app to listen to certain radio channels,” he continued. If someone wants to listen to the scanner, they can use a physical scanner radio to pick up those frequencies, or they can use a website or app that taps into the digital audio feed.

"In FY2024, the Peoria Police Department plans to spend $3.32 million from the city’s budget to upgrade its nine-year-old radios. With that upgrade, Chief Eric Echevarria is asking for equipment capable of encryption. That means only those with capable radios will be able to hear what’s going on }}

BUT............
{{ However, for members of the public who listen to scanner traffic, like members of the media, encrypted audio could mean radio silence.

We’re only asking that the media who stand in the shoes of the public have access to the transmissions,” Chicago media attorney Steve Mandell of Mandell Menkes LLC said. “Of course, the media isn’t going to disrupt the channels of communication.

Mandell believes some of the concern stemmed from protestors disrupting radio channels during protests against police brutality in 2020. }}

{{ He is currently representing several Chicago TV stations and newspapers as they try to regain access to the city’s scanner traffic. Mandell said he had a contentious discussion with former Mayor Lori Lightfoot and is now continuing those negotiations with Mayor Brandon Johnson.

Johnson promised to reinstate scanner access during his campaign but has yet to follow through on that promise, according to Mandell.

“People have a right to know how their government is acting,” Mandell said. “What we need is more transparency, not less.”

The encryption process will take time, according to Tuttle. The new radios and dispatch consoles will need to be modified to encrypt the audio. He suspects it will take several months to accomplish this, estimating summer or fall of 2024 could be when encryption begins. }}

Steve Tuttle --- I know you are hear --- for the love of the hobby, please don't encrypt EVERYTHING. All scanner listeners can agree that there is sensitive information that probably should not be heard.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Hopefully, they'll not encrypt EVERYTHING.

{{ Encrypted audio would remove that ability for folks on the scanner or an app to listen to certain radio channels,” he continued. If someone wants to listen to the scanner, they can use a physical scanner radio to pick up those frequencies, or they can use a website or app that taps into the digital audio feed.

"In FY2024, the Peoria Police Department plans to spend $3.32 million from the city’s budget to upgrade its nine-year-old radios. With that upgrade, Chief Eric Echevarria is asking for equipment capable of encryption. That means only those with capable radios will be able to hear what’s going on }}

BUT............
{{ However, for members of the public who listen to scanner traffic, like members of the media, encrypted audio could mean radio silence.

We’re only asking that the media who stand in the shoes of the public have access to the transmissions,” Chicago media attorney Steve Mandell of Mandell Menkes LLC said. “Of course, the media isn’t going to disrupt the channels of communication.

Mandell believes some of the concern stemmed from protestors disrupting radio channels during protests against police brutality in 2020. }}

{{ He is currently representing several Chicago TV stations and newspapers as they try to regain access to the city’s scanner traffic. Mandell said he had a contentious discussion with former Mayor Lori Lightfoot and is now continuing those negotiations with Mayor Brandon Johnson.

Johnson promised to reinstate scanner access during his campaign but has yet to follow through on that promise, according to Mandell.

“People have a right to know how their government is acting,” Mandell said. “What we need is more transparency, not less.”

The encryption process will take time, according to Tuttle. The new radios and dispatch consoles will need to be modified to encrypt the audio. He suspects it will take several months to accomplish this, estimating summer or fall of 2024 could be when encryption begins. }}

Steve Tuttle --- I know you are hear --- for the love of the hobby, please don't encrypt EVERYTHING. All scanner listeners can agree that there is sensitive information that probably should not be heard.

The Tuttle in the story is David Tuttle unless he goes by Steve on here or is a family member. David was a long time Peoria City/County ECC Manager and is the Chief of the Logan Trivoli FD. Also long time member of the ETSB board. He helped setup the official Peoria County scanner feeds online I believe and could possibly be at least in favor of a slight delay on the feeds if they do go encrypted. Would be better than nothing.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
The Tuttle in the story is David Tuttle unless he goes by Steve on here or is a family member. David was a long time Peoria City/County ECC Manager and is the Chief of the Logan Trivoli FD. Also long time member of the ETSB board. He helped setup the official Peoria County scanner feeds online I believe and could possibly be at least in favor of a slight delay on the feeds if they do go encrypted. Would be better than nothing.

Yeah, just got his name mixed up lol. Probably another Steve in another county who has been around forever.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Joliet has been encrypted for some time now. I have a few good friends that are officers here and when I told them " I can't hear you" anymore they were actually upset. The more that can hear us the better off we are to get help on certain situations, encryption is not going to help us we need public eyes !!!

Elpato

Premium Subscriber
"In FY2024, the Peoria Police Department plans to spend $3.32 million from the city’s budget to upgrade its nine-year-old radios. With that upgrade, Chief Eric Echevarria is asking for equipment capable of encryption. That means only those with capable radios will be able to hear what’s going "
Being he came from Elgin which had been encrypted since they moved to starcom I'm surpised its taking him this long to move things for Peoria.