ENCRYPTION FOR SIOUX FALLS AND RAPID CITY

lundboat

Premium Subscriber
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) — Law enforcement radio communications will soon be encrypted in South Dakota’s two biggest communities.

The Sioux Falls Police Department, Rapid City Police Department, Minnehaha County Sheriff’s Office and Pennington County Sheriff’s Office jointly announced Friday the public will not be able to listen to their radio communication beginning Monday, November 13. Authorities cited officer safety as well as consideration for victims and witnesses when announcing the change.

“We have had numerous situations just recently where we are catching people engaged in criminal activity who are listening to our scanners either in their earbuds or in their phone app,” Sioux Falls Police Chief Jon Thum said.

Thum, Rapid City Chief of Police Don Hedrick, Pennington County Sheriff Brian Mueller and Minnehaha County Sheriff Mike Milstead all shared their thoughts at a news conference Friday.

KELOLAND News will have much more from them Friday night at 10 Central time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayhoover

I strongly urge citizens to try to get them to do delayed feeds as does Lincoln Ne, and Omaha, Ne., and others. Thanks for the time.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
I strongly urge citizens to try to get them to do delayed feeds as does Lincoln Ne, and Omaha, Ne., and others. Thanks for the time.

Interesting thought, but privacy of victims/witnesses is one of the reasons they're encrypting, and delaying transmission wouldn't address that concern.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
Not saying it's fact until/unless it happens, but I've now heard from two sources that RC and SF area fire (and EMS?) will encrypt also.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
EMS and Fire in Rapid City and Pennington County will not be encrypted. Sioux Falls Fire, Minnehaha Co Fire, and Patient Care EMS will be encrypted sometime this year.
What exactly is the reasons given for encrypting fire and ems?

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Interesting thought, but privacy of victims/witnesses is one of the reasons they're encrypting, and delaying transmission wouldn't address that concern.
If that were an actual concern fire, EMS, and hospital call in channels would also be encrypted but rarely are

Rlahey

Premium Subscriber
If that were an actual concern fire, EMS, and hospital call in channels would also be encrypted but rarely are
This is actually the hardest issue to accomplish. SF is a large hospital receiving EMS transfers from the tri state area, and all of South Dakota. To encrypt their EMS to Hospital channel would mean that every service that currently uses the digital system to call EMS report would then have to encrypt each of the radios of $1000-$1500, per ambulance. Small, rural services can’t afford that cost. This is why many EMS to Hospital talk groups across the country are not encrypted.

hollywoodjr62

Premium Subscriber
EMS and Fire in Rapid City and Pennington County will not be encrypted. Sioux Falls Fire, Minnehaha Co Fire, and Patient Care EMS will be encrypted sometime this year.
As of today, Sioux Falls Fire and Minnehaha County Fire seem to have switched to encryption. I'm only hearing Metro's traffic and no unit traffic. Patient Care EMS is the exception as both unit to dispatch and dispatch to unit is still broadcasting(as well as ems to hospital reports). Initial Dispatch traffic is still coming through, just no unit traffic for Fire at this time.

hollywoodjr62

Premium Subscriber
As of today, Sioux Falls Fire and Minnehaha County Fire seem to have switched to encryption. I'm only hearing Metro's traffic and no unit traffic. Patient Care EMS is the exception as both unit to dispatch and dispatch to unit is still broadcasting(as well as ems to hospital reports). Initial Dispatch traffic is still coming through, just no unit traffic for Fire at this time.
Just an update: As of today (8/6/) Minnehaha COUNTY Fire/EMS are still operating on an open airwave. Apologies for this misinformation in my OP. The encryption seems to only be on Sioux Falls Fire Rescue(SFFR) channels unit to dispatch. With that being said, the migration of county fire to encryption I'm sure is imminent.

Rlahey

Premium Subscriber
Just an update: As of today (8/6/) Minnehaha COUNTY Fire/EMS are still operating on an open airwave. Apologies for this misinformation in my OP. The encryption seems to only be on Sioux Falls Fire Rescue(SFFR) channels unit to dispatch. With that being said, the migration of county fire to encryption I'm sure is imminent.
As of today, my scanner has gone quiet on Sioux Falls fire. I would suspect that they are now fully encrypted.